computer not booting after storm

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
there is a storm outside right now, its 2am, the power just went out and now my computer wont turn on properly. i press the button, it seems to be going good, it shows the hp logo screen with the f9 for boot options, f10 for setup and all that then it re starts, it keeps doing that and it doesnt show the grub2 menu. right now its running ubuntu via live cd. so i have no idea what to do, do i need to reinstall grub2 for the second time this week or what?

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
there is a storm outside right now, its 2am, the power just went out and now my computer wont turn on properly. i press the button, it seems to be going good, it shows the hp logo screen with the f9 for boot options, f10 for setup and all that then it re starts, it keeps doing that and it doesnt show the grub2 menu. right now its running ubuntu via live cd. so i have no idea what to do, do i need to reinstall grub2 for the second time this week or what?
You have restart on failure set. Turn that off and see what the error code is which will show up. To turn of the "restart on failure" function you need to enter the BIOS. This can be done before the Windows splash screen. Hit F8 or F6 to enter the BIOS, typically.

-pat

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think there is a good possibility the power supply took a hit and the power supply is cutting out and restating on boot up.

colin.p

colin.p

Audioholic Intern
That doesn't seem likely, as the live cd works. It's just that the installed OS (ubuntu) isn't booting up. If the OP has had grub issues in the past, as he seems to imply, then not finding grub will cause it to not boot properly.
If I were you, try out everything (all hardware functions) using the live cd, then that will make sure your hardware isn't fubared. Then re-install grub.
However, if your computer did take a hit, then you may have some hardware problem, maybe not a full blown failure, but just enough to make you go stark raving mad, trying to find the problem. Good luck.

G

gpost3

Banned
I am going to disagree with the previous post. Hardware either works or either it doesn't work. That means, this is not exactly the best place for you to post that type of an issue.

Run Prime95 under windows or MemTest86+ just to make sure your CPU and RAM are ok. Also can you see the Voltages in the Bios? What is the +12 V rail say? If you are getting between 11-13 volts you should be ok. If that seems ok then I would run a full read test on your hard drive just to make sure it is ok too. If all looks good then the problem is in the software. Oh I would suggest that you get a good powersupply (Seasonic, FSP and Antecs and some others are good).

Last edited:
C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
i just gave up trying and bought a new mobo intel DG41TY, swapped my 3ghz p4 for my moms 1.8ghz core 2 duo, and got one huge heatsink

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
i just gave up trying and bought a new mobo intel DG41TY, swapped my 3ghz p4 for my moms 1.8ghz core 2 duo, and got one huge heatsink
If you had the same 3GHz P4 that I did, I think that you'll like the Core 2 Duo. My P4 was smoking hot even when I was barely doing anything, but the C2D in my MacBook seemed a lot more reasonable.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
If you had the same 3GHz P4 that I did, I think that you'll like the Core 2 Duo. My P4 was smoking hot even when I was barely doing anything, but the C2D in my MacBook seemed a lot more reasonable.
mine had hyper threading and was supposed to be supported by my new board and it never had a heat problem but i had my fan speed set fairly high. the highest temp it would hit was 50 which in my opinion isnt too bad. my core 2 duo when it was in my moms computer was always hot though. i cant monitor the temp right now because im on linux but it feels really cool, but my heatsink is a beast too

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis