Compressing my PCs audio

K

knehh

Audiophyte
Hi, this might be a bit unusual and off topic, but i feel like you guys know your stuff any might be able to help me out.

I play a lot of counterstrike, where hearing silent footsteps is critically important, while the gun sounds are loud as hell. After playing alot my ears are literally ringing from all the shooting. As suggested by a youtube video, I want to try and compress all sounds my computer puts out, making the silent noises louder to close the gap, but I have absoutely no idea what i'm doing.

Does anyone know any handy software tools or something to help me with that?

Thanks.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hi, this might be a bit unusual and off topic, but i feel like you guys know your stuff any might be able to help me out.

I play a lot of counterstrike, where hearing silent footsteps is critically important, while the gun sounds are loud as hell. After playing alot my ears are literally ringing from all the shooting. As suggested by a youtube video, I want to try and compress all sounds my computer puts out, making the silent noises louder to close the gap, but I have absoutely no idea what i'm doing.

Does anyone know any handy software tools or something to help me with that?

Thanks.
You could install Equalizer APO, boost your pre-amp gain to an outrageous level, then turn your master volume way down. That would result in clipping loud peaks, and effectively volume limiting. It'd sound like feces for music though.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
How did that Youtube video suggest accomplishing the compression?

There is always the option to use an outboard pro-audio compressor. However, you would have to insert it between the computer and your audio system. Depending on your current equipment set-up, that might require first getting sound into an audio interface to convert the signal to analog.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could do it with an avr and routing your audio through it, many have dynamic compression routines for late night listening and such....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Many AVRs already have Dynamic Range Compression built in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis