Composite to Component question

I

Irishsaint

Audiophyte
I recently bought an Xbox 360. Now the 360 is HD cappable but I dont have an HDTV yet. So I am stuck with a composite TV for the time. Now I know Microsoft sells an S-video cord and that will make some difference but not much. I was wondering if there is a way for me to go from composite to Component. And please explain in terms I will understand cuz I have no idea about most of this stuff....Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You're better off using the S-video connection.

What you're saying you want to do is to "dumb down" a component signal into a composite input. The TV will be the limiting factor here, not the uniit or it's means of signal transfer.

First off, I'm not too sure such a device exists at a reasonable cost. Secondly, while it might allow you to "cross-connect" those two formats, the quality will still be no better than had you gone straight composite.

Again, since you indicate it's available on both units, simply use the S-video connection.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Use the best video connection available on your TV. If your TV has S-video, then use the s-video connection. Don't convert it after it comes out of the X-Box, but use the correct cable directly from the X-Box to your TV.

If your TV only has composite input, then use composite cables out of the X-Box to your display.

Converting from gold to bronze leaves you with bronze at the end of the day. Going from component to composite leaves you with composite. There is no benefit in a conversion from component to composite. Likewise, you can't convert (transcode) from composite to component and expect any gain in video quality.

S

southeastnavy

Enthusiast
No such thing...

There is no such thing as a Composite to Component adapter. They are incompatible formats. Markw is correct, use the S-Video connection until you upgrade to a HDTV. BTW, look for a DLP. Since you'll be playing a lot of video games, you'll get best results using a DLP. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis