Component video questions

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
alright so i hooked my ps3 up via component, i noticed i can get 1080p from games and the main menu etc, but blu-rays output only 1080i, now i know my tv is only 720p but still, eventually i will get a better one and i am wondering why component only outputs 1080i on blu-rays. (something tells me it's the same reason dvds only play on 480p, DRM crap or something :mad: )

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, due to fears of piracy or other inane reasons, you can't get 1080p over analog connections for blurays.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
But it doesn't matter if your TV has a native resolution of 1080p and the component video connections only support 1080i inputs because the TV will just do the deinterlacing and voila - back to 1080p.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
still very stupid and irritating, they do know it's not hard to pirate HDMI? and 1080i has more motion issues unless the tv has GOOD de-interlacing, every interlaced source i have seen on a progressive TV shows interlaced artifacts. what are all the people who don't use HDMI going to do? i shouldn't be forced to spend 500 dollars on a new receiver just because they wan't me to use a different cable. this stuff really irritates me. besides, i really HATE HDMI, i used to use it just for video directly connected to my TV and it was nothing but problems, if it wasn't one issue it was another, and buying new cables didn't do much good. i've had "bumping" picture issues, random digital noise, sparkling on SD sources and other various annoyances.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
by the way did the whole ICT downrez crap ever take hold?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What does your receiver have to do with it? If you are using component then you are also using optical, and you can still do that even if you use HDMI for video. Sounds like the issue is with your display not the PS3.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
no its neither, i hate hdmi and refuse to subject myself to the innumerous problems i encounter with it, the biggest issue is with SD stuff, any time i send an SD signal using HDMI i get sparkles, even on different displays different cables and different sources.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
From the PS3 or from anything? If the PS3 then something is set wrong. Start by turning some things off in the setup I have 2 PS3s and ran one 1080i and 720p to an older set with no issues and no issues with my 1080p set either. It isn't the cables.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
no from the cable box and from my dvd player (which i no longer use) some times it happens sometimes it doesent, the ps3 hasnt played any sd stuff yet, one of the irritating things i notice with hdmi is artifacts that dont show up using component cables. i've wondered if this is due to a 12bit color depth common of hdmi, it's similar to the difference between 16-bit color depth settings on a pc vs 32 bit, like i can see a sharp transition of colors that shouldnt be there. i'm sure its normal and not actually a problem but i do notice digital artifacts with hdmi that component never has. and im certainly not an anti-digital person, i think digitally transmitting signals is the best way to go but hdmi just is a fail for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am not trying to say you are doing something wrong, but what you are saying does not sound correct. I have 3 devices, DVR, PS3 and my Oppo BD and there is no artifacting from any of them except the DVR and that is usually isolated to specific channels and some recordings because this Dish DVR kind of sucks as a DVR.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis