Complicated Denon question...

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I have a question about the new Denon DVD player line. It's directed to the Admin, but if anyone else can answer that would be great.

What I wonder is how the bass management works. Is there one global setting for all formats? That's how it works with the 2200/2900/5900. You choose speaker size, bass level, etc & it applies to everything that plays via the analog outputs.

Problem with this is that SACD & DVD-A are mastered with a different reference level for the bass (seems like the levels are about 5dB apart). Therefore, if you set the bass to be correct for one format, it's 5dB off with the other. The best workaround I've found is to either split the difference or set it for whichever one you listen to more, then tweak it when you need to listen to the other.

Have the new generation of players corrected this problem? And how does the bass management work with the new Denon receivers via Denon Link? Does going this route offer the ability to set the bass level & channle trims for each individual format? Or would I still be stuck with one universal, global setting for all MC stuff?

Thanks to anyone that might know something concrete.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Hmmm....no one has a clue, huh. Too bad. Hopefully the AH guys will get a review sample and perhaps shed some light on the subject.

K

keenan

Junior Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
Hmmm....no one has a clue, huh. Too bad. Hopefully the AH guys will get a review sample and perhaps shed some light on the subject.
This PDF explains how the 5900 works with the 3805 far better and with less words than I could explain it. The 3910 is supposedly the same player so I would imagine the application would be the same.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/5900_3805 setup tips.pdf
5900_3805 setup tips.pdf (application/pdf Object)

The only problem with Denon Link connection is that the player sounds better than the 3805. Add the fact that Denon Link, IMO, will never be approved to transport SACD signals and the fact that the players with Denon Link sound better when using their internal decoding, the DL is next to useless if sound quality is primary and even for convenience it only gets the job half done as far as HiRes audio is concerned. With the yet to be released 5805 and 4805 that situation may be reversed.

Jim

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

It has the same features, or some of them, but to assume they are identical may be a reach. That's why I was hoping someone would be able to respond with more than a guess.

Thanks, anyway. You might be right after all. But I know Denon got some 'feedback' on their bass management, so maybe they've rectified this flaw.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Man, PDFs are a PITA. It sorta looks like there's just one global setting, unless you have the unit set to run 5 full range channels + sub. Hard to be sure, though. I wish I could catch the attention of a Denon factory rep.

K

keenan

Junior Audioholic
Yes they can be. :)

Ironically, because Denon Link will not pass SACD but will pass DVD-A you can have two seperate BM setups, set the player for SACD preference and the Denon Link attached receiver for DVD-A. :D

Jim

P.S. Somewhere on this forum Jeff Talmadge indicated the 3910 is the same as the 5900, except for a different power supply and HDMI, neither of which would effect BM.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis