completly new with questions

B

Bullseye

Audiophyte
First thanks in advance for any answered questions and thanks for allowing me into the forum.
Ok ill try to explain as best i can. I am installing a small home theater in my basement. I'm installing a 110 inch screen and projector i'm wanting to install a surround sound with it. after some reading i realize i need a receiver to run it all i dont have a very large budget to work with and I'm not real particular when it comes down to it. in fact i have a cheap 32" tv now and just the speakers on the tv itself so anything i do is going to be an improvement over my tv. i have been given some speakers that are new but not everything i need for the set up. the speakers i have are all definitive technology their models are BPVX/P Bipolar surround, Procinema Prosub100, and a CLR-2000 center channel. i know that mixing speaker brands is not ideal but is their a way i can use these speakers in my setup and not spend a lot on other speakers.
Also as far as the receivers go i was looking at the yamaha rx-v375 5.1 its not a high priced receiver but will this work for what im wanting to do.

D

Dr. Bob

Junior Audioholic
Bullseye, from your description it sounds like any 5.1 unit would do. Yamaha is a good brand; if you can get the v375 for a good price, go for it. Accessories4less has the V377 for $200.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Bullseye,
Providing room dimensions and your approximate budget would be very helpful.

That said, though the equipment you already have is a bit older, it is good stuff and an excellent start on a 5.1 system:
1) The BPVX/Ps are surround speakers with built in powered sub-woofers--see an explanation here. These speakers had an MSRP of ~$750.
2) The ProSub 100 subwoofer is probably the weak point in the system, but in conjunction with capabilities of the PBVX/P and CLR-2000 should be just fine to get started.
3) The CLR-2000 is a very capable center speaker. The CLR-2500 had its own powered subwoofer, like the BPVX/Ps,--I could not remember, nor find, if the CLR-2000 does also.
- However, this is easy to tell, if the CLR-2000 has a power plug in addition to the speaker wire connections, then it has its own powered subwoofer capability.

Therefore, all you really need to complete the 5.1 is a pair of Left/Right main speakers.
I would stay in the Def Tech family and go no smaller than either ProMonitor 1000s or StudioMonitor 45s.
- Here is a link to most of the Def Tech product line with representative retail costs.
The Yammy RX-V375 should be just fine, spend the serious money on the front L/R speakers, not the AVR.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

B

Bullseye

Audiophyte
Ok another question my bpvx/p that are powered is their anything different I need to do to hook it up to my receiver I ended up getting a pioneer dx-524-k receiver

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Good luck with your system. I have Pioneer AVR that sounds very good. Peace and goodwill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis