Completing my HT setup and need advice

H

Huey04

Audiophyte
I accidentally posted this in the AVR forum the other day and just noticed so re-posting over here.

I have had Polk LSi9's powered by a Pioneer VSX 82TXS for several years (living in apartments and didn't want a sub) and am looking to finally fill out my HT system in my new house. I just ordered an SVS PB12-Plus and would like to have an AVR with something like Audyssey for sub EQ and better room corrections with a 5.1 setup.
Now that the LSi line is discontinued what speakers would be best to fill out my setup that would match the LSi's or would I be better off keeping these as stereo only and getting a new matched set of mains, center, surrounds for my HT?
I typically watch movies at -15db or so and don't feel like I've ever really stressed the 82TXS with the LSi9's bi-amped but if I fill out my system with more LSi's or LSiM's is it realistic to expect to power 5 4 ohm speakers with an AVR?

selden

selden

Audioholic
While it can be advantageous to have identical or very similar speakers all-around, the room EQ software provided in most modern receivers minimized this requirement. To the extent that it is successful in "flattening" the frequency responses in all of the speakers, it makes them all sound very similar. Personally, when I've upgraded speakers, I've usually replaced the fronts by higher quality speakers from a different manufacturer and repurposed the older speakers as surrounds.

Most non-flagship AVRs have a little trouble driving 4 Ohm speakers to maximum volume. Their amps can't provide adequate power and often will go into protection mode when turned up too far. Bi-amping can't really help with this, since most of the power is required by the woofers. The higher frequency drivers really don't need much power to produce high sound levels.

If that turns out to be a problem, often one can use external 4-Ohm capable amps to offload the main speakers from the receiver. In other words, you probably should consider getting a model of receiver which includes preamp outputs. Getting a preamp/processor plus external amps to begin with is another, but more expensive, option.

H

Huey04

Audiophyte
Thanks, I have been looking at the Denon AVR-4520CI which has a full set of pre-outs for upgrading to an external amp for the mains if needed but is supposed to be able to run at 4 ohms also for the time being.

selden

selden

Audioholic
The AVR 4520 should be great for your purpose. It's Denon's previous flagship receiver, so it's high quality. (Their current flagship is the AVR X7200W, which costs quite a bit more.)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your Pioneer will power the Polks just fine. I wouldn't worry about it unless you do run into shutdown issues or the receiver runs extraordinarily hot. I doubt you will have those problems.

H

Huey04

Audiophyte
My current pioneer avr has powered the 2 polk's just fine for stereo use the last few years.
Now that I have the SVS PB 12 plus hooked up I am wanting something that will better integrate it into my setup and handle an expanded 5 or 7 speaker setup, possibly dual subs, more hdmi connections, newer technology, etc...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis