"Compensating Rings" round Cables

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
I really should start with an apology for poor searching skills if relevant; I cannot imagine this was not raised before.

Notably the more 'exotic' type of cable often has a, what I can best call, cosmetic ring somewhere round it. This may be say twice the cable diameter, some 15mm long, of any shape/material, with all manner of artisctic engravings and claims - we know the story.

Has anybody ever been adventurous/affluent/wreckless enough to dismantle this to reveal the mystery and record the sacrifice on photo?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I really should start with an apology for poor searching skills if relevant; I cannot imagine this was not raised before.

Notably the more 'exotic' type of cable often has a, what I can best call, cosmetic ring somewhere round it. This may be say twice the cable diameter, some 15mm long, of any shape/material, with all manner of artisctic engravings and claims - we know the story.

Has anybody ever been adventurous/affluent/wreckless enough to dismantle this to reveal the mystery and record the sacrifice on photo?
There's one (sucker) born every minute. Don't be one!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One ring to rule them idiots...

There's only one thing one is compensating for with something like this and it has nothing to do with audio.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
They probably saw a ferrite interference choke on some cable. While they didn't understand how it really work, it inspired them to invent the ring.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

There have been several dismantled in the past and posted on line but not sure which brands to show a micro component or two to reject gHz noise, etc.
Come to think of it, most likely the MIT cables.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis