Compatibility and Upgrading Speakers.

J

jasonr93

Junior Audioholic
I have a philips HTS3565D/37 5.1 home theater. I would like to upgrade the speakers and sub-woofer first so that i can use them with the old receiver, and eventually get a brand new receiver and be able to switch the upgraded speakers and sub woofer to that and get rid of the philips.
For example: say i wanted to upgrade my sub woofer to a BIC America F12 475 watt one. What would i need to look for to see if it would work and be compatible? Like i said, i would like to upgrade my receiver last so i can use the speakers and sub woofer with the old receiver until i have enough for a high quality receiver.

I am obviously a beginner at these things and need your help, advice and expertise. I appreciate your help and time with this, as i am trying to learn and understand this field.

Thanks,
Jason R.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I can't find any solid specs beyond the fluffy stuff that they used for marketing, but very few HTIB systems are upgradeable (Onkyo and Denon HTIB are exceptions). That's because for the most part HTIB receivers are optimised for the included speakers only and the included subwoofer may rely on the receiver to provide amplification. My advice would be to move your HTIB into a bedroom and start over. You don't have to do it all at once, you can start with a receiver and a decent pair of speakers and just add on as money allows. Post the room dimensions, budget, and what you plan to use them for (home theater? Music? What type of music? How loud?) and I'm sure a few folks will jump in to help.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That sub has both speaker level inputs and a LFE/subwoofer RCA input. You should be covered either way.

If your receiver has a RCA subwoofer output, use the RCA subwoofer input.

If your receiver has speaker-level subwoofer outputs, use one of the subwoofers speaker level inputs.

And, that sub will work with any receiver you get in the future.

J

jasonr93

Junior Audioholic
I am currently setting up a home theater in the basement. I have a projector and the current receiver in place. So that is part of the reason i would rather start upgrading the speakers first, and using them with the old receiver and when i have enough, maybe get a Onkyo TX-NR818. That way i can still watch movies and music, instead of buying the receiver first and not having any speakers for a while. The rooms dimensions are about 25 feet wide, as well as 25 feet long. The ceiling is about 10 feet high. I'd be using it for movies, but also for music and video games. I have been reading the reviews on some onkyo receivers and i'm unsure of buying them. Some are reported to have the bluray fps bug, as well as the hdmi board not displaying errors. Any thoughts and advice on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason R.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis