Comparing receivers

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
When I first wanted a better than average receiver, the salesman told me, "Pick up the receiver, the heavier, the better". That may be true in most circumstances.

So...

Newegg has the Yamaha A-3000 $899. My local shop told me that after the first of the year Integra receivers will be almost 50-75% off retail. The Integra DTR 70.3 matches the specs of A-3000 and would be about the same price. The Integra weighs 20lbs. more then the Yamaha.

Is it silly to consider the weight of the receiver? Does the Integra's extra 20lbs. really mean a better built amp?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it silly to consider the weight of the receiver? Does the Integra's extra 20lbs. really mean a better built amp?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.
It depends, up to a point heavier is better but while it is typically true a 26 lbs AVR (e.g. Denon AVR3312) will beat a 20 lbs AVR in power output (e.g. Denon AVR1612) with class AB amps, a 55 lbs (e.g. Onkyo TX-NR3009 unit does not necessarily = better sound and/or more power than a 37 lbs (e.g. Denon 4311) unit. Even on the separate component side, a Bryston 4B SST2 weighs 20 lbs less than the Emotiva XPA-2. Both are rated for 300W 8 ohms, 500W 4 ohms but the Bryston has lower distortion level at rated outputs. Also both are class AB design.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I wouldn't get too hung up on weight when comparing the higher end lines of receivers. While one may have a more stout power supply do your needs require it? In other words, do you have hard to drive speakers or listen to multi-channel audio at very high volume levels for extended periods ... if so, it *might* make a difference. Of course with any AVR that has preouts you can always add an external amp if the need for more power comes up.

Another decission to make is do you take the good deal on the A3000 now or wait (and hope) the salesman wasn't misinformed about the Intergra price drop.

Steve

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
The Integra will have more power, no doubt about it. Power wise for flagships I believe it's Onkyo > Denon > Yamaha this generation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis