Common installation problems.

IDIT91

IDIT91

Audiophyte
Hey all, I'm an industrial design student and I'm working on a project involving the installation of audio/video equipment, I've done some interviewing, but I figured that an online forum would also be a good place to ask some questions about common installation problems.

My project involves creating a light, an alternative to a flashlight, to aid in the installation of audio/video equipment. So what are your biggest problems with using flashlights when installing TV's/stereos etc? Do you usually use a light to look behind/under TV's etc.? Do you usually have another person hold a light for you so you can use both hands for the installation? What are some other problems that arise in terms of comfort when installing? Do you often crouch in awkward positions in order to reach behind or under things when doing an installation. And if you have any general problems when installing AV equipment if you could say some of them that would be a lot of help.

Thanks a lot.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey all, I'm an industrial design student and I'm working on a project involving the installation of audio/video equipment, I've done some interviewing, but I figured that an online forum would also be a good place to ask some questions about common installation problems.

My project involves creating a light, an alternative to a flashlight, to aid in the installation of audio/video equipment. So what are your biggest problems with using flashlights when installing TV's/stereos etc? Do you usually use a light to look behind/under TV's etc.? Do you usually have another person hold a light for you so you can use both hands for the installation? What are some other problems that arise in terms of comfort when installing? Do you often crouch in awkward positions in order to reach behind or under things when doing an installation. And if you have any general problems when installing AV equipment if you could say some of them that would be a lot of help.

Thanks a lot.
Not trying to rain on your parade but they already exist- it's called a headlight and you can buy them at most hardware & camping stores, or any Walmart. There's also a light that clips on the brim of a cap, for those who wear one all the time. Otherwise, a book light will clip onto a shelf or side of a bookcase/rack if that's an option.

One of the biggest installation problems involves cabinetmakers who think they know what this kind of equipment needs. They often don't.

IDIT91

IDIT91

Audiophyte
There are already products on the market, but I'm sure none are perfect. And that's the beauty of design, no matter how many thing are out there, everything can be improved. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just trying to east the act of installation. Maybe I'll redesign a headlight or something, but asking these questions is just part of the process.

Thanks for your response, though.

Does anyone have any of the headlights? Do they fit your needs, is there something they are less than adequate in doing as far as lighting is concerned?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I use a regular camping headlight (Petzl Tikka). Works perfectly. I can't imagine what else I'd want specifically for HT installs....

Although I do have a variety of other headlights I could pull out if it was insufficient for some reason.

IDIT91

IDIT91

Audiophyte
Would you also use the headlight for something like plugging in a component cable into the bottom of a wall mounted TV? I know from my own experiences, this task can be kind of annoying and it might get kind of hard to aim a headlight just right to see which slot you are plugging into.

Anyways, does anyone use something other than a headlight?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Would you also use the headlight for something like plugging in a component cable into the bottom of a wall mounted TV? I know from my own experiences, this task can be kind of annoying and it might get kind of hard to aim a headlight just right to see which slot you are plugging into.

Anyways, does anyone use something other than a headlight?
A small hand mirrror comes in handy hereand, if you're careful, you can reflect the headlight off of it right onto the target area..

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
A small hand mirrror comes in handy hereand, if you're careful, you can reflect the headlight off of it right onto the target area..
That just gave me a great idea ... :D

IDIT91

IDIT91

Audiophyte
Actually things like this help me a lot. Are there any other tricks or improvisational jerryrigs you guys use when installing HT equipment?

Again, thanks for any input.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, Alex, it works on skirts, too. How do you think I came up with this idea? :D
Not quite what I meant.
I've looked up a skirt or two without the aid of mirrors and flash lights.
That's pretty twisted you filthy pervert. :D

highfigh

highfigh

There are already products on the market, but I'm sure none are perfect. And that's the beauty of design, no matter how many thing are out there, everything can be improved. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just trying to east the act of installation. Maybe I'll redesign a headlight or something, but asking these questions is just part of the process.

Thanks for your response, though.

Does anyone have any of the headlights? Do they fit your needs, is there something they are less than adequate in doing as far as lighting is concerned?
I've been using one for years and if I don't have enough light where I'm working, it's great. I also have several other flashlights that can either clamp onto something or stand up on their own.

The one bad thing that my headlight does is turn on when it's in my toolbox, but some of the others have a different switch, so that's a non-issue as long as I keep things from turning the switch on. It has white LEDs and a red one. Some have the ability to adjust the light from narrow to wide beam, too.

Look at Labor Saving Devices for some other things that we use, as installers.

IDIT91

IDIT91

Audiophyte
This might be a stupid question, but does the flashlight have a clamping feature, or are you more or less just attaching the flashlight to something using a clamp, tape, etc.?

Thanks again to those who gave some input.

IDIT91

IDIT91

Audiophyte
Have you ever used something like this?

This one is probably a little big and clunky for HT installation, but there might be smaller ones on the market.

It's an interesting product, actually.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Getting an expensive or fancy light, just to have it break when it falls off a lift or ladder, gets lost or stolen isn't always worth it.
I got a few of these http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Work/2AA-Industrial-Swivel-Lite.aspx on a clearance sale and they work great, and I don't mind if it gets lost or broken. It swivels, clips to my hat or top pocket and small enough that I can always carry it.
Over the years I've noticed that getting used to working in low light conditions helps too.

highfigh

highfigh

This might be a stupid question, but does the flashlight have a clamping feature, or are you more or less just attaching the flashlight to something using a clamp, tape, etc.?

Thanks again to those who gave some input.
I have seen both. One of mine is a mini MagLite and I used small hose clamps to attach it to a Pony spring clamp. I did that one when I worked on boats. Someone had a flashlight on a flexible stalk and I think it was called 'The Snake'. Good idea but the thing never stayed on place because it didn't tighten enough.

highfigh

highfigh

Have you ever used something like this?

This one is probably a little big and clunky for HT installation, but there might be smaller ones on the market.

It's an interesting product, actually.
If a larger area needs to be lit up, that would be good. Attics and crawl spaces fall in that category but I wouldn't want anything with an incandescent bulb. They go bad right when you need them, or after being dropped. LEDs are great and they last a long time. I have a flashlight with two rings of LEDs and at full brightness, I can't look at it.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
So what are your biggest problems with using flashlights when installing TV's/stereos etc?
Flashlight in one hand, beer in the other and cables still in the packaging. I am no installer consequently, my biggest challenge had nothing to do being able to see the back panel...

That said, and since you do need some feedback, here is an idea. Most receiver have one or two low power plug points at the back. There are no products (I am aware of) that use these for creating better lighting on the back of racks. While a product on these lines may not be of use to an installer, I am sure it will make for a viable idea to discuss in your class group.

Cheers... now I need my wife to hold the flashlight. Where's that woman when I need her...

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
That's a pretty good idea.... pro gear has USB ports that power small lights on flexible stalks. An adaption of this idea that uses tiny power and plugs into standard outlets would be useful.

Also a headlamp that you wear like behind the head earphones would be cool. The lamps (led) would be in front of each ear. Heck, add an mp3 player and lights to any behind the head earphones and I'd buy 'em. They'd have to collapse for space in the toolbox gets scarce. They'd have to be rugged also. Think ten foot drops kind of rugged.

The catch here is the audio quality would have to be fairly good also. Remember the folks that do this kind of work know what sounds good.

Bluetooth integration for the phone would be nice also.

I'll take mine in black.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis