Comcast Digital Cable - Good, Bad and Ug

B

BoomerHolic

Audiophyte
I got Comcast digical cable (had Comcast analog cable) a couple of weeks ago. I have is hooked up via DVI through Motorola 6100 to Sony 65".
Good
Great picture (usually)
Great 5.1 audio using digital optical connection

Bad
Video cuts in and out (because of compression?) during "Monsters Inc."

Ug
I am into Comcast this deep (Cable Internet and Digital Cable TV) that to change to satellite and some type of DSL seems to be too much work, and more expensive.

U

Unregistered

I just got a digital box. I got home from the cable store and looked and it had nothing but composite video(me the dummy did not check the back of the box while i was in the store). I called and the "help" know virtually nothing about digital hookup. I went back to the cable store and looked at the boxes and got one with s-video and Optical/coax out(best I could get, I don't have hdtv yet). Good picture/great sound. I have no south facing exposure for satellite, so I am stuck with Comcast too.

M

moverton

Audioholic
I love how we gave the cable companies a monopoly and then allowed them to screw us at will. Comcast now bundles cable modem and cable tv together. If you want to get a dish for the tv, they raise the internet price $15 for a total of something like $60/month. Ridiculous. Does anybody still remeber that they are a regulated monopoly?

BoomerHolic said:
Ug
I am into Comcast this deep (Cable Internet and Digital Cable TV) that to change to satellite and some type of DSL seems to be too much work, and more expensive.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You know, I have had Comcast, priced DSS, and now have Cox.

Cable is a far better deal and typically monthly rates are the same if not better with cable vs. DSS. It is definitely something to complain about, but my Comcast cable was about 20 bucks a month less than my Cox cable and performed better. DSS requires all that hardware to be purchased, then gets outdated in a year. Plus extra fees for every additional set hooked up? Forget that!

My digital cable is still a bargain compared to DSS. I just wish it was Comcast instead of Cox. Motorolla boxes kick the crud out of Scientific Atlanta boxes.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
My beef with Comcast is the whine of the digital recorder in the cable box and that I can't get it in black. Also some stations especially CBS don't always come in in HD. Alone the sat was cheaper than Comcast for full HD product but Comcast was better when bundled with internet. Also I would hate to give money to that SOB R. Murdoch who owns the biggest dish company. Voom might be a good way to go but they are still smalltime.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

It depends on where you live.

I would have to say I am pretty happy with the service I get from Cox. I have the HD service with DVR, internet, and digital telephone. From my research to get a HD DVR with Directv you would have to spend at least $1000. I pay $5 a month for that service. (I previously had replaytv @ $9.95 with crappy picture and no Dolby Digital)
I have had DSL and it sucks compared to cable internet.(cable is at least 3 times as fast where I live) Digital phone only costs me $15 for basic service.
The only complaint I have is that I don't get all the local channels in HD through Cox.
We have discussed this before in this forum. It is still the same today as it was a few months ago. It really depends on where you live.

*For me I am just thrilled to watch 4 games a week in HD. (last year was 2!)

U

Unregistered

Dolby cable cutting out

Bad

What type of receiver do you have? There was a period a couple of years ago when many receiver makers had problem with the newest version of Dolby (My Onkyo has that problem). Onkyo has a upgrade out to fix it. Check with the maker of your receiver.

D

DanV

Audiophyte
Comcast is horrible

I've had TV, Internet and now phone service with Comcast. They simply are the worst at customer service. Here's my recent experience with their phone service.

I had a Comcast sales representative come to my door at the beginning of June 2005. He convinced me to switch both my phone lines to Comcast and that I would save around $50 per month. I went ahead with the deal and I had service by the end of June.

The lines were loud, but I just lowered the volume on my phones and that was fine. My lines were supposed to be private, but when I called someone I would be caller id'd. I got my first bill and there was a setup fee of $30. On my contract, the salesman wrote right on it, "No setup fee". These were not big issues that I could'nt get past. After all, I was saving money. The big problem is that on July 3rd, my phone service was completely dead for over 24 hours. It then died again for 4 hours on August the 8th. By that time I was done with Comcast and I had called Verizon to take back my line. Verizon couldn't get that scheduled until August 16th. So here I wait.

I'm writing this today because yes, my phone lines are dead again on August the 11th. Whenever you call Comcast, they can't tell you really anything. They have no clue as to what is or isn’t working. They tell you they'll have a technician call you back and schedule an appointment for the next day. Sometimes they call and sometimes they don’t. I've asked to talk to a supervisor three times now and it takes them 24-48 hours to call you back... if they ever do. The last time I asked for a call back, I got a call back two days later. I was checking out at the grocery store and asked them to call me back in 5 minutes. It took them 10 minutes, I was in my car and I was not in a covered cell area so I missed the call. They left me a voice mail and the message was, "Please call the 800 number if you have any more questions". This company is a joke. They are so over loaded with service calls because they're phone technology is just like their Internet and TV service... It SUCKS! You never know when you'll be without service, but it's just a matter of time before it goes out.

I put up with their Internet service for 5 years because they were the only Broadband company in my neighborhood. For the last 3 months I now have Verizon FIOS Internet Service and it hasn’t been down yet. I should have known better to switch my phones to Comcast. Knowing what I know today, if they were the only company providing phone service in my neighborhood, I wouldn’t have home phones. I would just simply switch to cell phones.

Comcast’s service is so unacceptable and so frustrating that now I just want revenge. I run a business out of my home, and I know for a fact that I've lost at least a couple of orders because I didn't answer my phone. Anyway, DON'T SWITCH TO COMCAST EVER or you'll be very sorry.

Please feel free to share your story with me. I’m making a new career of letting the public know about this. danvelez@verizon.net

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I agree Comcast is terrible. I had the displeasure of dealing with them when I went to South FL to visit family. The 'installers' only know how to twist the f-connector of the cable into the box - they know absolutely nothing about digital audio nor do the customer service reps.

It took us WEEKS and more than two dozen phone calls to get a cable box with digital audio out. You make it explicitly clear that you want a box with digital audio out and they show up with an old box that doesn't have it - even when the work order clearly states that is the box we need. When they get there, they just say 'make another appointment'. One time when they did call back to make an appointment and suggested a day/time I told them no that was not acceptable (because we wouldn't be home). They scheduled it anyway and sure enough we missed the installer because we were not home and the cycle starts all over again.

It's too bad there is no choice in cable companies for your area. I'm sure Comcast would be out of business in no time. Time Warner in my area is absolutely phenomenal - they show up on time, they bring the right equipment, and the guys are familiar with the equipment.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
My experience with Comcast has been good and bad. I have the HD box with dual tuner DVR. Its pretty new stuff so there have been bugs and you can not get a good answer from a CSR. I took my complaints to Corp and did get a good answer and resolution.
As far as Comcast compression causing problems, Comcast does not compress there signal. I have spoken to many Comcast eng and have been told they do not compress. If the signal is already compressed there is nothing they can do about it.
CBS not always being in HD is not the providers fault it is the network. It wouldn't matter if you had COX, RCN, or soon to be Verizon it would and will be the same.
Verizon looks like the next big dog with the FIOS rolling along and video services right behind. Maybe some competition will help smooth things out.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
BoomerHolic said:
I got Comcast digical cable (had Comcast analog cable) a couple of weeks ago. I have is hooked up via DVI through Motorola 6100 to Sony 65".
Good
Great picture (usually)
Great 5.1 audio using digital optical connection

Bad

Ug
You have only the Digital package and have an optical out on your receiver?!?!?! Do you have pay stations, or can you get the 5.1 on say.. OnDemand movies??

I only have an audio "coacial" out... it gives better sound quality on Dolby Digital stations, but nothing in 5.1 of course...

do you have a model number on your box?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
See, everyone has complaints, but try calling up DirecTV and saying "My box seems to have problems, could you come out and exchange or take a look at it?"

THAT is a conversation that will earn you a good laugh on their end. Sure, cable isn't something I would use for my phone lines, but I'm not about to spend $1,000+ on HD/DVR gear for satellite service. It makes no sense at all. My HD box has digital coax & digital optical out, DVI, component... dual tuners. It all works from any single wall plate that I plug it into...

Plus, the other 4 TVs in my home get all the analog channels with no problem.

Heck, give me a cable card and a 42" plasma and I get all the HD channels without any major fee. A few bucks a month for full HD plus premium channels on an additional display and I don't even need to buy another $300+ HD box... plus make sure my multiswitch is big enough to handle it.

I think DSS and cable companies have a severe company service issue all around. Mostly due to very poor communication from the top down and poor training. Mostly though, I think it is poor communication.

An entire rant about phone not working well? Sure, I get it, but if satellite providers offerred you phone service... well... how well does your cel phone work? Would you pay 3 times as much for hardware to make it run?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Yeah, I had a huge problem with Direct TV when my step dad wanted a new receiver. I called them up to order a new one b/c they were going to "upgrade" him to a new one with digital audio out to receive 5.1 on the available content if he upgraded his package. We got the box in the mail, guess what, no digital audio. I call, they tell me they can't gaurantee he'll get one with digital audio out when they send us one, they just grab them from a stack in a warehouse, he has to go to a store like best buy and purchase one that way he knows what he'll get. I was furious and I'm not a nice person on the phone with customer service ppl that have no idea what they are talking about. I dont think its just cable/sat. companies, I think its everyone and there is just a lack of overall customer service in the entire economy. Dont even get me on Cingular's stupid customer service ppl, ok I can't rant anymore.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
if you are relentless you can get something out of them. yes they do pretty much have a monopoly on cable for a particular area... and you're going to have issues with who ever you go with. I just pit them against each other... Get the cheapest value. imho, if you don't like the receiver you received from them cancel asap with them. They will either FIND that receiver for you or do something to try to keep you with them. It's all about the recuring fees... :/

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis