Comb filtering and loudspeaker interference

R

RCA Dimensia

Enthusiast
With small surround setups is comb filtering or any other type of interference known to exist between the speakers? I know one of the reasons people argued against using surround arrays in anything but a large theater was that speakers that close would not work well. But they would be no closer than the fronts and center are already in almost any small or medium setup.

The general smallness of home setups is also a reason I've heard for the limitation of three front channels we seem to be stuck on, even though systems such as cinerama and Todd AO used FIVE FRONT CHANNELS in the 19 FIFTIES. Both using only one or two surround channels, just like SDDS (1993) but without the LFE.

Now, however, but only with Audyssey DSX, finally there are front width channels, and it's about time. There is no real material recorded for this, though. It's all just matrixed BS.

So I ask is comb filtering or lack of size the reason surround sound is not evolving as it should? I mean, look, there are more surround channels than front channels now. What the hell is that?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I know one of the reasons people argued against using surround arrays in anything but a large theater was that speakers that close would not work well. But they would be no closer than the fronts and center are already in almost any small or medium setup.
And I have problems with the center: so don't run it.

So I ask is comb filtering or lack of size the reason surround sound is not evolving as it should?
It *should* be evolving into something that doesn't work?

I mean, look, there are more surround channels than front channels now. What the hell is that?
Because there are more "surrounding sides" (3-5) than "front sides" (1)?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
With small surround setups is comb filtering or any other type of interference known to exist between the speakers? I know one of the reasons people argued against using surround arrays in anything but a large theater was that speakers that close would not work well. But they would be no closer than the fronts and center are already in almost any small or medium setup.

The general smallness of home setups is also a reason I've heard for the limitation of three front channels we seem to be stuck on, even though systems such as cinerama and Todd AO used FIVE FRONT CHANNELS in the 19 FIFTIES. Both using only one or two surround channels, just like SDDS (1993) but without the LFE.

Now, however, but only with Audyssey DSX, finally there are front width channels, and it's about time. There is no real material recorded for this, though. It's all just matrixed BS.

So I ask is comb filtering or lack of size the reason surround sound is not evolving as it should? I mean, look, there are more surround channels than front channels now. What the hell is that?
Any time the same sound comes from two speakers and the distance to the listener is different, comb filtering occurs. It also occurs due to the first reflection affecting the direct sound.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Listen to a properly setup 2ch rig and you will know why we don't need to "evolve". With a great recording and just 2 speakers, you can get a LOT of amazing sound. I am not a purist either, because I feel a center and a sub are a must for movies, but I don't need them for everything. I like what they bring to the game though. There's also a reason why I don't use a 6.1 or 7.1 setup: I don't feel it adds enough to my experience to be necessary. I did like it and noticed it when I had back surround, but having gone back to not having it, I don't miss it at all. Will I eventually go back? Possibly, but music will still remain 5.1 or stereo, and my rig is geared towards music.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Listen to a properly setup 2ch rig and you will know why we don't need to "evolve". With a great recording and just 2 speakers, you can get a LOT of amazing sound. I am not a purist either, because I feel a center and a sub are a must for movies, but I don't need them for everything. I like what they bring to the game though. There's also a reason why I don't use a 6.1 or 7.1 setup: I don't feel it adds enough to my experience to be necessary. I did like it and noticed it when I had back surround, but having gone back to not having it, I don't miss it at all. Will I eventually go back? Possibly, but music will still remain 5.1 or stereo, and my rig is geared towards music.
The addition of speakers isn't always helpful, especially in a room without heavy treatments. I think in rooms with a lot of sound control more speakers can work for movies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis