Classical music - where to start?

F

frkuhn

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hi, there.

After 20 years in the rock and roll domain, and 5 in the jazz, I'm now starting to explore clasical music as a third source of enjoyment.

I know a lot of people here enjoy the classics, so I decided to ask for directions first.

What would be good titles (preferably available in Hi-rez, I acquired THIS habit too!
) to start with? I already bought Mahler's sixth (with Zander) and Dvorak's New World (Harnoncourt) and I'm getting acquainted to those two (it takes me at least 6 months to really get into new music).

So, with the word, the experts!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I don't have much experience with titles in high resolution yet, so all I can do is recommend some labels known for high sound quality. Harmonia Mundi, Hyperion, Chandos, Channel Classics, JVC XRCD (also has Jazz), Mercury Living Presence, BIS, Sony/Columbia Classical. All of these labels have some high-res titles. I'd also recommend not bothering with high-res versions of recordings of certain solo intruments like piano, female vocals, etc., as the differences may not be all that noticeable.</font>

F

frkuhn

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Thanks! And what about conductors/performers/authors? I'm actually very afraid of ending up with some easy listening/elevator stuff so common in the radio.</font>

S

SMaC

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>One of my most recent favorite finds is an older recording of a classic piece, Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. &nbsp;The details of the CD are

Conductor: Karl Bohm
Orchestra: Vienna Philharmonic/Berlin Philharmonic
Title: Eine kleine Natchmusik/Serenata notturna/Posthorn Serenade/Haffner Serenade
Label: Deutsche Gramophone

Bohm's interpretation of Mozart's most popular work is different than most that are heard. &nbsp;It is slower and heavier without dragging or being cumbersome. &nbsp;It does not &quot;bounce&quot; or sound as springy. &nbsp;This can be a turn-off for people, but I find it somehow more realistic. &nbsp;I don't know how the score is noted, and I don't claim to know what Mozart's intent was, I'm just saying that I like it, perhaps because it takes a piece that has almost become monotonous and makes you listen to it again.

As far as the quality of the recording, I can't offer much help. &nbsp;These were originally recorded in the 60's.

Hope you enjoy.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Hello everyone from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico! Enjoying my vacation but had to chime in here.

With &nbsp;more than 300 years of music to choose from (the range from Baroque thru the 20th century that covers most of what we think of as &quot;classical music&quot;, it can be intimidating!

Good start with Mahler, IMO. He´s my man and maybe THE composer for hi-fi! Check out his 2nd Symphony next. Zander is an excellent Mahler interpreter, be sure to listen to his explanation of the piece and his conducting.

Everyone has faves but to start, go with the &quot;Three B´s&quot; Bach, Beethoven &amp; Brahms. Bach´s Brandenburg Concertos are a good intro to him. Beethoven´s symphonies &amp; Brahms symphonies for sure. Mozart for certain, too, &quot;Eine Kleine Nachtmusic, and his later symphonies, esp. no. 40. Try the French &quot;impressionists&quot; Ravel and Debussy. Beautiful orchestration.

Then try some Stravinsky, like Rite of Spring and Firebird Suite. And Bartok. And maybe some of the more avant garde modernists of the early 20th century like Schoenberg and Varese. Frank Zappa was a huge Varese fan!

I could go on and on...but here´s a suggestion. Go to Amazon.com and to Arkivmusic.com and check out their &quot;essential recordings&quot; lists for some good first choices.

As with any other type of music you´ll find composers and styles you prefer...and otherwise. Enjoy!

Oh, I don´t think there´s much yet recorded in hi rez so don´t make that a prime consideration. Many digital remasters of analog tape recordings from the 70s and 80s have great sound and excellent performances.

Back to the hard work of being a gringo tourist...</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Many audio mags as well as music vendors have lists of the basic reportoire; Naxos has such a list of discs on their label.  This is a pretty good way to go as their sound quality is superb and the prices very low.

It's difficult to answer you question- as Rip stated, with centuries of music it's tough to recommend a starting point.  Still, I suggest you try different subgenres and styles to see what you like.  Some suggestions:

Classical guitar-  This can run from Bach transcriptions to Grananado &amp; Sor, and all of it is interesting.  I am partial to Sor, Granados &amp; Albinez (I'm somewhat biased in favor of Romantic Era music).  Fabio Zanon is one of my very favorites, but Julian Bream &amp; John Williams have some very good recordings, too.  Try Danza Espanola #5.

Some of the old 'warhorses' became just that for a reason- they're great pieces that stand the test of time.  Some of my favorites:

Dvorak- Symphony #9, Carnival Overture, Slavonic Dances
Copeland- Fanfare For The Common Man, Rodeo
Rachmaninov- Piano Concerto #2 ( esp the Ashkenazy one on London)
Chopin- Piano Concerto #2, any of his Etudes (I recommend Vladimir Horowitz's favorite Chopin- CBS Masterworks, as a good starting point).
Howard Hanson- Symphonies #2 &amp; #1,Merry Mount Suite
Holst- The Planets
Khachaturian- Gayane Suites #1-3
Mussorgsky- Night On a Bald Mountain, Pictures at an Exhibition
Berlioz- Symphony Fantastique
Strauss- Death &amp; Transfiguration, Thus Spake Zarathustra
Debussy- La Mer, Nocturnes, Prelude A L'Apers Midi D'un Faune
Bach- everything!  You can't miss with Bach- I particularly like the organ works.

I highly recommend anything you can get your hands on by these musicians:

Fabio Zanon- Guitar
Hillary Hahn- Vioin
Marc Andres Hamelin- Piano

There's tons I missed but this is a good starting point.  Much of this is accessible, but none is elevator music.</font>

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I recently purchased the newly released SACD Multi Channel Hybrid Disc -

Beethoven Violin Concerto - Romances
Kurt Masur / New York Philharmonic
Anne - Sophie Mutter - Violin
Deutsche Grammaphone 471 633-2

Terrific sounding disc!
</font>

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>A few artists whose recordings are all first rate:
ANGELA HEWITT - piano -- A Canadian pianist with a specialty for Bach. &nbsp;Spectacular recordings on Hyperion

MICHAIL PLETNEV - piano - He's about to release a Schumann Disc on SACD (Deutsche Gramaphone) as well as the Rachmaninoff 3rd piano Concerto (prev CD release). &nbsp;All recordings stupendous but particularly the Scarlatti Sonatas (Verve), Carnegie Hall recital (DG), Homage to Rachmaninoff

RICHARD GOODE - phenomenal Beethoven piano sonatas in a boxed set of 10 (but available in smaller bunches, I believe)

STEPHEN HOUGH - Check out recordings of Mompou and a disc called the Piano Album (Hyperion)

MURRAY PERAHIA - stupendous recordings particularly Schumann.

More to come!!!</font>

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Additional recordings:
STEPHEN HOUGH - Liszt sonatas &amp; Ballades. Mendelssohn piano concerto.

MAHLER - San Francisco Symphony - The 1st symphony is a stupendous recording. &nbsp;They are doing the whole set of them. &nbsp;I'm told that #s 3 &amp; 4 are also wonderful. &nbsp;Demonstration quality and great performances. &nbsp;SACD/Multich

MOZART REQUIUM - Channel Classics - it's enough to make a heathen religious! SACD/multich

RAVEL - Dejan LAZIC piano - Channel Classics - jazzy, introspective, one of the best piano recordings ever. SACD/Multich

VIVALDI - La Stravaganza - Rachel Podger violin &amp; Arte Dei Suonatori - Channel Classics - SACD/multichannel

BEETHOVEN - Symphonies - Barenboim - Teldec on DVD-A. &nbsp;Wonderful.</font>

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Three more:
MANUEL BARRUECO - 300 years of Guitar Music - EMI 66575 - A great introduction to numerous composers. &nbsp;-- Barnes &amp; Noble often has this 3 disc set for $15. &nbsp;

Also SHARON ISBIN - Guitar - Dreams of a World

JULIAN BREAM - Guitar - Granados/Albeniz - RCA recording</font>

F

frkuhn

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>WOW! Thanks a lot, fellas.

Lots of input, just what I need, given I'm 300 years late to the game!

I'm already researching some of the titles mentioned here. Please keep it coming!</font>

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

<font color='#000000'>frkuhn,

I started a new thread &quot;Music to Consider&quot; w/o looking down the page at your question.

I agree with hlesser on the Mahler SACDs by SFSO. I own all the symphonies that have been released. Both the 3rd and the 6th symphonies received grammy awards.

If you like.. check out my thread for other ideas. &nbsp;
</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I wanted to add that HiRez is especially good for recordings of strings &amp; piano. &nbsp;The piano sounds more solid and &quot;stable&quot; for lack of a better, more audiophool approved term. &nbsp;The attack and decay of the notes is so much more realistic on DVD-A (and on SACD, to some degree).</font>

F

frkuhn

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you like.. check out my thread for other ideas.</td></tr></table>

I'm already there, my friend!
</font>

F

frkuhn

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>People, have anyone here heard Daniel Barenboim's DVD-As of Beethoven symphonies? Are they any good?

I can get a good deal in some of them (1&amp;2, 3, 6 and 7&amp;8), and was wondering if they are worth buying. In case they are ok, witch one is better?</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
frkuhn said:
<font color='#000000'>Hi, there.

After 20 years in the rock and roll domain, and 5 in the jazz, I'm now starting to explore clasical music as a third source of enjoyment.

I know a lot of people here enjoy the classics, so I decided to ask for directions first.

What would be good titles (preferably available in Hi-rez, I acquired THIS habit too!
) to start with? I already bought Mahler's sixth (with Zander) and Dvorak's New World (Harnoncourt) and I'm getting acquainted to those two (it takes me at least 6 months to really get into new music).

So, with the word, the experts!</font>
For someone just starting out with the Classics, i am amazed that you started with Mahler - a composer not entirely known for his melodic lines and preferred using discordant harmonies to convey muscial textures that may not sit well with pop and rock afficionados. (Though rock music often use similar discordant harmonies.) But I guess, you're a rare breed and I congratulate you on your journey to this genre.

I started out with the trite and overplayed Beethoven's Symphony #5 from Karajan and the Berlin Symphony on Deutsch Grammophon (DG). Then bought Brahms, Bach , Straus, Paganini, Vivaldi, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Back, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Wagner, Dvorak and some others who were in the classical, baroque and romantic eras. They have very melodic and tuneful lines with complex but pleasing harmonies that are so easily remembered and appreciated by one who came from a jazz and pop world.

It was a good 3 years or so before I ventured into the more complex, unmelodic and "heavy" classics from Mahler, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, Belini, to mention some of the more 'modern' classical composers who prefer to experiment on radical polyphonic textures often at the expense of lyricsm and melody. I also had difficulty appreciating Opera and just couldn't sit through an entire Carmen or Marriage of Figaro, much less a Tosca or Aida without squirming in my listening couch. But I do like some opera excerpts and some songs culled from them, especially the melodic ones like Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot (right?) or the suites from Bizet's Carmen. These are excellent starters for would-be classical affcionados.

Lately, I have grown fond of solo operatic singers belting out some famous, familiar or melodic songs. Offhand I could think of Andrea Bocelli (Sogno and Romanza albums and the Tuscany DVD live concert I have) and Sarah Brightman (more crossover between classic and pop with Weber's fussion Phantom Of The Opera, Harem, La Luna CDs and the Eden DVD live concert) that should be a good introduction to the world of Opera. Then there are new pop-classical artists like Charlotte Church, Russel Watson, Mario Frangoulis and Haley Westenra, just to mention the more popular ones who seem to have soem flexibility with their voice crossing from pop to classics. Ofcourse, there's the famous three tenors, Luciano Pavorotti, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras in their albums together or seprately.

You're a bit more advance in your journey, having started with Mahler and appreciated it. Some cross-over afficionadoes I know can't even get by with the album Classical Music For People Who Hate Classical Music. There's a huge world of classics out there. More than 400 years of music to say the least, in the form we know it. Wish you an enjoyable and pleasant journey. :D

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

av_phile said:
For someone just starting out with the Classics, i am amazed that you started with Mahler - a composer not entirely known for his melodic lines and preferred using discordant harmonies to convey muscial textures that may not sit well with pop and rock afficionados. (Though rock music often use similar discordant harmonies.) :D
I agree and disagree. I agree for the most part Mahler is not the easiest composer to start with. However there is always plenty going on to keep the listener interested. As far as melodic lines go try his 4th Symphony. The 1st movement is simply beautiful, quite unlike most of his other symphonies.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
rgriffin25 said:
I agree and disagree. I agree for the most part Mahler is not the easiest composer to start with. However there is always plenty going on to keep the listener interested. As far as melodic lines go try his 4th Symphony. The 1st movement is simply beautiful, quite unlike most of his other symphonies.
True, his adagieto from the 5th is hauntingly lyrical and most memorable. But I was talking in general terms.

F

frkuhn

Audioholic Intern
I actually bougth Mahler's 6th without listening to it first, and the same goes for every classical title I'm purchasing. I have no friends that enjoy classical music, and I don't have much time to shop, so I buy most of my stuff from the internet. That's why I asked for directions here first.

But I must say I really enjoy it. It has some kind of "Prog metal" feel to it. :p
And the hammer blows are just scary! Very nice. I must confess I have a taste for weird music (like Zappa and Crimsom), so it wasn't a shock for me.

As a sidenote, I found out Naxos is ditributed here in Brazil, and is reasonably priced, so I'm getting to know lots of stuff from their catalog, and discovering lots of great music! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis