Classia c336 vs. JBL L-studio 890

P

pepenet

Audiophyte
Help me please in choosing between one of this two floorstanding loudspeakers, although they come I think from the same factory. I like progressive rock, classic, jazz (almost all well done music can give), but I would like later to complete the set for a good home theather system. Thank you very much.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Help me please in choosing between one of this two floorstanding loudspeakers, although they come I think from the same factory. I like progressive rock, classic, jazz (almost all well done music can give), but I would like later to complete the set for a good home theather system. Thank you very much.
To my ears, having heard both model lines, the JBL L-series is quite superior to the Classias in all aspects of speaker performance. But the Infinities have a little more pizazz in their styling. (I own both JBL and Infinity loudspeakers, btw, though not these models.) Both are great for home theater and your preference in music.

It's your ears that must be satisfied, however. Any chance you can audition them?

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
just wondering

If the classicas could be a jazzed up beta 40 in essence,the cabinet is different in looks ?
In any case the jbl L890 seems the better performer!
The jbl L 880 are interesting,like too hear those compared!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I've listened to that JBL line, and my impressions: Not sexy, at all, in appearance. Quite impressed overall with their clarity/balance, SQ, except for what I found to be a sizzling top end. I do mean "top", as in pretty high in freq. Otherwise, for me, in this room, with modest electronics, they outperformed Focal Chorus and Polk Lsi towers IMO. The Focal didn't suffer the sizzling top end, but were more masked overall, and the Lsi sounded by far the most masked to me, but this line is known to require beefier amplification, which was not available in this room.

I'd still look elsewhere for a speaker, but I will say they performed better than I was expecting.

^All subjective blabbering, but take it FWIW.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If the classicas could be a jazzed up beta 40 in essence,the cabinet is different in looks ?
In any case the jbl L890 seems the better performer!
The jbl L 880 are interesting,like too hear those compared!
The Beta 40 is a better speaker IMO. But all of them used the same drivers as far i can tell.

The Revel Concerta series is a rebranded Beta. I know that for sure. The dimensions are exactly the same. The Classia's are a step down I believe, but I could be wrong.

I'd be hard pressed to find a difference in double blind testing between most of these speakers.

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
F12 are similar

Guess the revel f12 has the 40s size but @6ohms and x/overs arent close!
Might be they look very similar?
Now i wonder how the f12 sounds?
I have too look them up just curious,see what ya did!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Guess the revel f12 has the 40s size but @6ohms and x/overs arent close!
Might be they look very similar?
Now i wonder how the f12 sounds?
I have too look them up just curious,see what ya did!
:D....didn't mean to play with your emotions.

All of these will have a familial sound. If you audition them at different times/locations you would have a difficult time telling them apart. (lsiberian was sort of correct.) But if you actually DBT them, there are nuances that come forth that identify them as presenting different designs. I can give my seal of approval on all of them, just so long as I leave out the Classias. Their tweeter just irritates me with an unclean, edgy top end. But this is only my comparative opinion...not fact. You have the correct approach of auditioning for yourself! :)

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
auditioning is an ear full

Well if a tweeter bugged me like that and bought it, then its only a matter of time,and its sold!
What little ive read,the classica standing spkrs are getting a cold responce after the beta 50s and 20s.
I called harman and they said they wernt planning a replacement for the beta series?
Then heres a pricey downsized 50 that doesnt sound as good as the beta 50s

They should have just given the betas the classica cabinet design and call them beta signature series or something!
Then theres the jbl L890-880 with sizzeling highs,odd thing,owners like them because they either luv the bass/mids or cause they want the high details on the tweety!
Either way,there keeping them ,they are powerful like the betas!
I did alot of research insted of auditioning,because theres a limited pricey selection around or mediocre stuff,i bought the beta 50s because i trusted the overall reviews and the pro reviews were very positive on the beta 50s!

I believed you guys here and everywhere,no bad waves from the beta listeners/except a mediocre cabinet is noted!
Mine dont have any loose anything,there vynil veneer covered cherry,just mdf i guess!
Anything new thats decent is pricey unless your lucky like me,$499.99 for my pair of beta 50s is a incredible find,im glad i listened to the hands on people!
Now there gone,but keep watching what comes out and make a list on new stuff and search on those,maybe whom ever is looking might get lucky like i did!
I feel lucky anyway,people say i am ,i think there right about that!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis