J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
So I just pulled the trigger on a new avr that I'm still waiting for and I'm already thinking about my next upgrade my sub. I've been reading as much as I can and it's still a tough decision. I'm interested in the psa xv15se, svs pb 12 plus, hsu vtf 15 and rythmik fv15hp. So my question is to everyone what would u choose and why, not just based on pure performance but all things considered. Performance, looks/build quality, cost. Just so you know I'm leaning toward the svs pb12 plus because it performs well and looks good, that doesn't mean I've made up my mind on that one I'm just looking for others input on these subs they have had experience with. Thanks.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, so looks is where you are going to lose on subs, lol.. They are all ugly, I have seen very few attractive ones, my wharfedales are really nice looking, curved cabinets and digital displays, with real veneer, and Funk makes some curved cabinet good looking subs, but with 99% of the ID companies you are getting a square box, and veneer and piano is going to cost a premium and sound the same...

So with that being said, with you list I pick the vtf15 and if you can go with the wood vs the black and it fits your room, go for it... its a good looking sub...

Another thing to keep in mind is dual subs sound better, so in most cases 2-$500 subs will sound better and be louder than 1-$1000 sub....
So for sound quality I would go with dual vtf2's over the 15, I actually did, lol...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
From the list you choose, I would go with the Rythmik FV15HP. Those subs have all been tested by third parties, and the FV15HP came out on top by a pretty significant margin. For aesthetics, I would probably go with the gloss black PB12, with the gloss black FV15HP and Rosenut VTF15h not too far behind. Another thing is, to echo what imcloud said, two subs will likely offer better performance than one, although at the cost of a couple dB. In my opinion, the symmetry of two subs is nicer looking than one as well. For the price of a FV15HP, you could have dual Hsu VTF2s, VTF3s, or SVS PB2000s. That will give you a better bass sound across more listening positions than one monster sub in one spot. The basic satin black of the Hsu subs is pretty nice.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'd go with the Rythmik myself if duals isn't an option.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What can you tell us about your space, i.e. room size, etc.?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm interested in the psa xv15se, svs pb 12 plus, hsu vtf 15 and rythmik fv15hp.
I have a FV15HP and a PB12U.
Use them both in a .2 setup.
Love them both.
Both look great! (They're big, but so is a piano. Doesn't mean they're unattractive!)

I got one first. Loved it. Later got the second one. Love them together even more.
If you get 2 smaller subs now, you might end up still wanting 2 big boys later. I say get one big boy now, then the second when you're ready.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Duels is definitely the way to go if you can. Myself, I would go with the SVS and performance is always my reason when I buy anything really. I can put up with something that isn't the best looking but when I enjoy hearing it I can easily forget about looks.

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
What can you tell us about your space, i.e. room size, etc.?
ok so this is my room/ gear. My living room is 16 X 30 open to a hallway, stairwell and case opening to kitchen. TV - Panasonic tc-p58vt25, avr "just got today" :) denon 4520ci, l+r mains- emp e55ti, center- emp e56ci, surrounds- emp e55wi, current sub velodyne cht-8 . Oh and the living room is standard 8' ceilings.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
ok so this is my room/ gear. My living room is 16 X 30 open to a hallway, stairwell and case opening to kitchen. TV - Panasonic tc-p58vt25, avr "just got today" :) denon 4520ci, l+r mains- emp e55ti, center- emp e56ci, surrounds- emp e55wi, current sub velodyne cht-8 . Oh and the living room is standard 8' ceilings.
Definitely go with duals. Outlaw has the LFM-1 Plus on sale for $499; two of those should be the minimum IMO.

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
So I was thinking 2 lfm - ex or 2 vtf3 mk4 or for about the same price one pb12 plus.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Between two VTF3 or LFM EX and a PB12 Plus, I would go for the VTF3 or EX. Multiple sub setups can have a big advantage over single sub setups, not in output but in getting a better response throughout more listening positions. You will want to go through this article. By the way, the VTF3 is a better sub than the EX, I wouldn't bother with the Outlaw EX when it is not on sale. The VTF3 has an improved driver, better ports, and more features, so for the same price it is a no-brainer.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
So I was thinking 2 lfm - ex or 2 vtf3 mk4 or for about the same price one pb12 plus.
I would add dual PB-2000 in this case or dual PC12-NSD that are on sale right now. Dual VTF3 MK4 is a great option too.

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
Between two VTF3 or LFM EX and a PB12 Plus, I would go for the VTF3 or EX. Multiple sub setups can have a big advantage over single sub setups, not in output but in getting a better response throughout more listening positions. You will want to go through this article. By the way, the VTF3 is a better sub than the EX, I wouldn't bother with the Outlaw EX when it is not on sale. The VTF3 has an improved driver, better ports, and more features, so for the same price it is a no-brainer.
Ok so how about 1 pb 12 plus now then another when the funds allow, the more I think about it the more I feel like I don't want to get 2 smaller subs now and just want to upgrade them later. I would go to a fv15hp but in piano it starts getting more expensive especially compared to the current b stock svs price.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Ok so how about 1 pb 12 plus now then another when the funds allow, the more I think about it the more I feel like I don't want to get 2 smaller subs now and just want to upgrade them later. I would go to a fv15hp but in piano it starts getting more expensive especially compared to the current b stock svs price.
Sounds like a plan for future upgrades to me. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Dual PB12 Pluses would be a killer system and certainly outperform the PB2000s and VTF3s. It hard to call the VTF3 or PB2000 'small' subs. Smaller than a PB12 Plus maybe, but still enormous by many people's standards. If you bought dual PB12 Pluses simultaneously, you save $150 over buying them one at a time.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
so duals are definitely an option that I wasn't even considering until now.

If you decide to consider a dual XV15se package please email us at support@powersoundaudio.com . We can help with possible room placement, expected performance, possible discounts on products heading toward the outlet center, etc. Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis