Choice of speaker for Yamaha RXV-685

S

sand87

Audioholic
So i have planned on Yamaha RXV-685(Have heard that denons have many complaints of malfunctioning boards)
I wanted to purchase some speakers for this 685.After reading a lot.i have 2 options.

1. POLK S20e (8 ohm)
2. ELAC Debut 6.2 (6 ohm)

Also one more concern is the ELACS being 6 ohm and polk being 8 ohm.i hope the receiver in question will be ok with 8 ohm more than 6 ohm.

Which one should i go for?

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The receiver will be fine with either speaker ... just flip a quarter between the two speaker choices.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I suggest that you try to listen to both and then decide which one you prefer. Bring one CD or two of your favorite music, that helps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't heard that Denons have malfunctioning boards....where did you get that? My Denons are 9 and 13 years old and doing just fine in any case. I was just reading a coupla threads about Yamaha issues, so they're not exempt either. Onkyo/Integra did have a period with some particularly bad boards between 2009-12, tho (but with an extended warranty program that took care of the issue). Which speaker do you prefer? The V685 at least has 2.2 preouts should you want some amp flexibility down the line...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've not heard that about Denon. There was a thing with Onkyo for a while but they seem to have cleaned that up.

S

sand87

Audioholic
I haven't heard that Denons have malfunctioning boards....where did you get that? My Denons are 9 and 13 years old and doing just fine in any case. I was just reading a coupla threads about Yamaha issues, so they're not exempt either. Onkyo/Integra did have a period with some particularly bad boards between 2009-12, tho (but with an extended warranty program that took care of the issue). Which speaker do you prefer? The V685 at least has 2.2 preouts should you want some amp flexibility down the line...
wel i have no personal liking.i am game for s20,elac debut b6.2 and qacoustics 3020i.dont have anywhere to audition though.so based on general opinion i want to get one

S

sand87

Audioholic
thanks a lot for the detailed reply.
so is denon x2600h better than yamaha tcv 685.
if the amp permits i wud have gone for the qacoustics 3020i.however its min imp goes as down as 4 ohm and hence i am skeptical if a mid ranger like 685 will be able to handle it.

thats the reason why i have finally zeroed in on elac and polk.

so if u ask me i liked the look and reading the reviews i prefer the elacs.sadly i have nowehre to go and audition them.

so if min imp of 4 ohm isnt going to tax the amp i will lean towards qacoustics but if not then elac and lastly only due to the 8 ohm impedence i will go for polk.

problem is i need a good sound for the money i am paying.not the bass but a clear sound and as i cant audition i wud like to take the general opinion

Last edited:
S

sand87

Audioholic
thats
I suggest that you try to listen to both and then decide which one you prefer. Bring one CD or two of your favorite music, that helps.
thats the thing.i dont have place to audition.also i am planning to buy online and hence wat will u generally suggest??
let me add the qacoustics 3020i to these two.as i have told here the only thing that concerns me regarding qacoustics is if my mid ranger 685 will be able to handle that much low imp.

if not qaucostics i was leaning towards the elacs but thing is i dont have much reviews about the polk s20e to decide if they are better.this is why i need advice from other users

S

sand87

Audioholic
so in terms of sound quality which one;-
1.Polk S20
2.Elac b6.2
3.Qacoustics 3020i

in decreasing order?

In terms of compatibility with my receiver what would you suggest?

B

bmninada

Audioholic
Personally I prefer Yamaha. Their sound is bright and seem to have better surround algo. Onkyo: couple of friends had bad experience even recently. Check few Amazon reviews. You can see. Denon is solid.
You are in India and Kerala is very very humid. Factor it in your decision. Electronics. You need to find out which manufacturer has products suited to tropical climate. What works here in US may last only an year there. I have +1000 friends in your country and being in business of electronics i know this for a fact.

S

sand87

Audioholic
Personally I prefer Yamaha. Their sound is bright and seem to have better surround algo. Onkyo: couple of friends had bad experience even recently. Check few Amazon reviews. You can see. Denon is solid.
You are in India and Kerala is very very humid. Factor it in your decision. Electronics. You need to find out which manufacturer has products suited to tropical climate. What works here in US may last only an year there. I have +1000 friends in your country and being in business of electronics i know this for a fact.
I did search a lot and though didnt find any region specific stuff but did have a chat with a service guy who repairs both denon and yamaha.He was the one who reiterated that he gets more denon complaints than yamaha but he said many could be blamed o the electricity fluctuations.since you said any idea of any specific sites to look rather than manufacturer site to find which is better suited.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
No, Yamaha doesn't have better sound than Denon, Marantz, Onkyo. You shouldn't hear any difference between their AVRs provided that neither are operated beyond their normal operating range, and that they are properly matched with the speakers they are driving..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look at the Denon 3xxx series at least, has the best version of Audyssey as well as pre-outs for future amp flexibility. Someone was just recently complaining about lack of support for an avr that failed (think it was a Pioneer) so another consideration is warranty/support. Never heard any of the speakers myself. How loudly do you like to listen and how far away from the speakers will you sit?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
thats

thats the thing.i dont have place to audition.also i am planning to buy online and hence wat will u generally suggest??
let me add the qacoustics 3020i to these two.as i have told here the only thing that concerns me regarding qacoustics is if my mid ranger 685 will be able to handle that much low imp.

if not qaucostics i was leaning towards the elacs but thing is i dont have much reviews about the polk s20e to decide if they are better.this is why i need advice from other users
The Elac has obtained a strong recommendation from Audio Science Review. This is a very serious and accurate review:

S

sand87

Audioholic
I'd look at the Denon 3xxx series at least, has the best version of Audyssey as well as pre-outs for future amp flexibility. Someone was just recently complaining about lack of support for an avr that failed (think it was a Pioneer) so another consideration is warranty/support. Never heard any of the speakers myself. How loudly do you like to listen and how far away from the speakers will you sit?
only minimal loudness no too loud.i had the polks as an option due to its sensitivity and imp whcih will make them really easy to drive by my AVR

S

sand87

Audioholic
The Elac has obtained a strong recommendation from Audio Science Review. This is a very serious and accurate review:

is there any such report for POLK S20

S

sand87

Audioholic
So comparing elac and polk do the polks have tighter bass or are they overpowering?I dont like a boomy bass that drowns out the mids and highs or where they are more pronounced.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis