Chinese Hd Dvd Players

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've been doing research on industry sites, as I like to keep on top of the marketing trends in this hobby of ours. Remember back in January at CES the group representing HD DVD touts that Chinese manufacturers would be flooding the market with low cost HD DVD machines, guaranteed to end the format war? Well, its almost September and nothing yet, still some hopeful retailers are holding out expecting units by Christmas. Universal and Warner execs have said they haven't heard of firm date, Wal-Mart which caused a major stir with it's threats to import over a million low buck units, is now singing a different song. The answer to a question posed by VB (industry marketing) was a little revelatory, according to Wal-Mart "we are still evaluating the situation and NOT MAKING A DECISION to go solely with one over the other right now. Ultimately the decision comes down to providing what the customer really wants. At Wal-Mart, we will continue to sell BOTH DVD formats at compelling prices and LET THE CONSUMER CLEARLY VOTE WITH THEIR PURCHASES on which format wins out." Clearly this is a straddle-the-fence policy. Other retailers have commented that nothing has come down the pipeline as to when or if low cost Chinese players will be shipped this year by Q4. Value electronics, a major importer said that they contacted Chinese manufacturers that are making Blu-ray Disc players and HD DVD players, but negated any chance of importing the low buck units this year due to compliance concerns. It's their opinion that a major retailer such as Wal-Mart has the resources to be the first to bring such low cost units and make sure they're compliant. So anyone holding out for affordable hi-def players will probably have to wait till Q2 of next year and that's still iffy.

D

davo

Full Audioholic
... At Wal-Mart, we will continue to sell BOTH DVD formats at compelling prices and LET THE CONSUMER CLEARLY VOTE WITH THEIR PURCHASES on which format wins out." Clearly this is a straddle-the-fence policy...
I wish all manufacturers/distributers/studios would take this approach. It sucks that some movies are released in HD-DVD while others are in Blu-ray.
LET THE CONSUMER DECIDE, DON'T DECIDE FOR US!!

While I'm ranting, Blu-ray region coding is retarded, serving to hinder consumers for no real reason!!:mad:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
While I'm ranting, Blu-ray region coding is retarded, serving to hinder consumers for no real reason!!:mad:

Yes, I forgot about this aspect. I think HD doesn't allow region coding a big point in their favor and for consumers.

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
internal hd dvd writer

Anyone know when Toshiba's SD-H903A internal hd dvd writer will be available? How much it will cost? Anyone else coming out with an internal model?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah Larry I had posted it a bit ago if I find it I'll repost.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

AVS is indicating it will be here for the holiday buying frenzy:D And retail under $200.

Q

quiksr20

Junior Audioholic
Hey dont know if you guys already know but Amazon is having one wicked deal for a Toshiba HD-DVD Player with 8 free movies for like $238.88

Sorry I cant post a link I still have under 5 posts. Its on engadgethd ( dot ) com

-Daryl Gregg

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Hey dont know if you guys already know but Amazon is having one wicked deal for a Toshiba HD-DVD Player with 8 free movies for like $238.88

Sorry I cant post a link I still have under 5 posts. Its on engadgethd ( dot ) com

-Daryl Gregg
They should have had this with a $500 XA2 last month, they would have had my business. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis