Cheap Low Pass Filter Options

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Ok guys I recently moved my HSU to the front of my room as I finally got fed up with the localization when watching movies. It sounds much better up front and I don't miss anything down low for movies. However I have noticed the mid bass impact has decreased a LOT even after carefully calibrating the room with the SMS-1. So I thought why not try and use my Polk PSW250 as a mid bass module? I would stick it directly to the right of my couch so that it flanks the listening position, and I have not tried this but it occurred to me that I will not want it to get a full rang signal I wouldn't think because I want to avoid localization. Would I need a Low Pass Filter for this and if so which one?

Thanks for the help!

Aaron

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
You could have just asked when you got to my house...

You are not looking for a low pass filter, - you receiver is doing that as a crossover point... ie 80hz sub xover to the speakers.

What you are looking for is a High Pass filter, so nothing below a certain freq is sent that polk...

Personally I don't believe in mid bass modules, get a good competent sub and it should handle all the freq's properly.

The Behringer MIC2200 is probably one of the least expensive I know of for this duty...
And it just so happens, that when I installed my new subs, I no longer need the one I have.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
You could have just asked when you got to my house...

You are not looking for a low pass filter, - you receiver is doing that as a crossover point... ie 80hz sub xover to the speakers.

What you are looking for is a High Pass filter, so nothing below a certain freq is sent that polk...

Personally I don't believe in mid bass modules, get a good competent sub and it should handle all the freq's properly.

The Behringer MIC2200 is probably one of the least expensive I know of for this duty...
And it just so happens, that when I installed my new subs, I no longer need the one I have.
Yeah I guess I could have done that.....

Facepalm....yes High Pass Filter....

You've been over enough times that you know I have a "competent" sub. :p I just wanted to try it as the new placement has changed my frequency response a bit, and I found that the low bass is WAY better in the new position, so its a compromise, but one that I can live with.....

I'm still in the stage where I am throwing ideas around in my head....maybe I will try this before I come over tonight and see how it sounds without a high pass filter.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
While it can't compete with a used one you no longer need, this is a less expensive option which might appeal to others. It has both adjustable high pass and low pass filters. I don't have one, so cannot vouch for it's build quality.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DSP110.aspx

annunaki

annunaki

I would suggest mid-bass modules be set up near your front speakers to avoid localization. You can run these down to say 50hz-60hz and then have your sub take over from there. You sub will be much less noticeable crossed over lower. Steeper crossover slopes will help you here as would the potential for cascaded filters.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah I guess I could have done that.....

Facepalm....yes High Pass Filter....

You've been over enough times that you know I have a "competent" sub. :p I just wanted to try it as the new placement has changed my frequency response a bit, and I found that the low bass is WAY better in the new position, so its a compromise, but one that I can live with.....

I'm still in the stage where I am throwing ideas around in my head....maybe I will try this before I come over tonight and see how it sounds without a high pass filter.
Make sure those ideas don't have any sharp corners, OK?

You may have put it in a place where the mid-bass is canceling, due to the room modes, or it could be constructive interference in the lowest frequencies. Does this subwoofer amp have a variable phase control? If it does, I would use that to smooth the response if your mid-bass is good on its own.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis