Cheap and best amps to drive Bose AM3

I

intzero

Audiophyte
Folks:

What an amazing forum?! Just what I was searching for :)

I recently bought a Bose AM 3 (2.1) Passive speakers for my PC. But unfortunately, I did not know that Passive means it requires either Amps/Receivers to drive it. (See I'm still a novice in audio :))

One of my more knowledgeable friend says that it is not possible to drive these speakers directly from the sound card as the power will not be that much. He recommends driving it via amps.

Which amps are the relatively inexpensive (100-150$) that can drive it. Just about anything under < 100w/ch. should be fine I think.

Could you please help me out here?

Thanks!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
intzero said:
Folks:

What an amazing forum?! Just what I was searching for :)

I recently bought a Bose AM 3 (2.1) Passive speakers for my PC. But unfortunately, I did not know that Passive means it requires either Amps/Receivers to drive it. (See I'm still a novice in audio :))

One of my more knowledgeable friend says that it is not possible to drive these speakers directly from the sound card as the power will not be that much. He recommends driving it via amps.

Which amps are the relatively inexpensive (100-150$) that can drive it. Just about anything under < 100w/ch. should be fine I think.

Could you please help me out here?

Thanks!
Look into this one. It's a highly rated pc amp, and is selling like hotcakes. Just make sure your AM3's are rated at least into 6 ohms and >89dB. These small amps like more efficient speakers. Not sure what yours are.
Teac Reference A-L700P 3-Channel Power Amplifier

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Are you sure the AM3s are passive? Usually Bose AM stuff runs off the amp in the "bass module".

I

intzero

Audiophyte
Thanks!

Thanks Buckeyefan! I'll look into it.

Jaxvon: Yes, I'm sure. The speakers don't have any power block for powering them. I think it is only AM3 that is passive. But AM6 and above are powered.

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis