Chase Home Theater (CHT) is closing their doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Sad to see them go. From Josh's measurements of the VS18.1 just a couple months ago, it looked as though they were putting out some darned good product for very little $$$.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Can't blame yourself for a failed business so blame someone else. :rolleyes:
The truth is the truth. 4 more years of Robin Hood. Many more businesses that are in good financial shape with solid business plans are going to up and quit. Why work hard just to see the government come in, steal your money and give it to the losers, dopers, child hatcheries, the lazies etc.....

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The truth is the truth. 4 more years of Robin Hood. Many more businesses that are in good financial shape with solid business plans are going to up and quit. Why work hard just to see the government come in, steal your money and give it to the losers, dopers, child hatcheries, the lazies etc.....
X2, I pay $640 for my sons glasses, the day we go to pick them up, there is a women and man in the office with 2 kids both getting glasses for free!!! Not even a copay, me I have a $15 copay for the drs visit, $15 copay for picking up the glasses, and have to pay full price for the glasses, also I cant remember the last time me and my wife could go together to a drs appt, we are busy working, and one will have to take time out of work to go with our child, but not when you dont work, shoot bring everyone a long, then stop at Boston Market and use your EBT card for lunch...

Free medical, free food, rent, and $750 a month cash, why would you work, just have kids, then get your kids on ssi because they were born addicted to crack...

But believe me when I tell you, this will end someday, and thats when you will see the zombies looking for a way to take care of themselves without working, and thats going to mean trying to take it away from the working people, which will lead to eradication, at least it will when they come to my doorstep anyway....

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Kill the political talk guys. Go post it on your Facebook page but not here.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Please keep the political crap off our forums per our rules. As a small business owner and job creator, I can personally attest that both myself and my company are better off than we were 4 years ago. Our advertisers and electronics manufacturers all tell me the same thing.

Our revenues are up again, we are hiring more writers. Our business is directly tied into the housing market and people's ability to spend disposable income. Florida was hit 2nd hardest by the real estate collapse yet housing in my area is selling as fast as they are being put up for sale.

Let's also not forget the Dow is up 2X higher than it was 4 years ago, GM is going strong and Bin Laden is dead.

Nothing else to say other than move on and let's hope for the best for our future and work hard instead of blaming others for our own failures.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
To offer an opinion, it seems less like a failed business, at least in the classic sense, and more like he's biting off more than he can chew in terms of running CHT as a side business in addition to his other ventures. Don't know all the details though.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Craig sounds like a reactionary douche here. I'm sure their speakers might have been OK but they were always controversial WRT things like build quality and marketing claims and that I'm sure hurt his sales more than politics when companies like EMP can come and blow owners and prospective owners away with a sound business structure.

I hate to see any small company run by a hobbyist go. But if that's gonna be his attitude then good riddance.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
To offer an opinion, it seems less like a failed business, at least in the classic sense, and more like he's biting off more than he can chew in terms of running CHT as a side business in addition to his other ventures. Don't know all the details though.
You're probably right. There was a period back in early 2000s when I was thinking about throwing in the towel with Audioholics but my wife encouraged me to make the hard decision of leaving my day job to pursue my dream fulltime. I also had Clint on my side helping with the site so with the 3 of us heading full force and finding some excellent support writers, I simply wouldn't accept defeat and carried on. It's not always easy, but nothing in life worth it generally is.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You're probably right. There was a period back in early 2000s when I was thinking about throwing in the towel with Audioholics but my wife encouraged me to make the hard decision of leaving my day job to pursue my dream fulltime. I also had Clint on my side helping with the site so with the 3 of us heading full force and finding some excellent support writers, I simply wouldn't accept defeat and carried on. It's not always easy, but nothing in life worth it generally is.
It's definitely not easy. I own 3 businesses and employ 18 total, but it does get tiresome, I don't know about everyone else in business but for me taxes are up insurance costs are up equipment prices are up and wages are up. But I am charging the same prices I was charging 5 years ago because people don't have the money to pay. Plus with so many houses being bank owned now and new residential construction at almost 0 there is not a huge amount of work out there... Luckily I invested well and still work hard chasing the work that is available so I should be fine until the economy turns around... Not meaning for this to sound political but to make like everything is great and we are getting better as a country is bs, I see a lot of people in trouble and out of work, who's fault it is isn't for me to say. But it is a real problem and who's problem it is is much easier to figure out. He was just reelected... I guess we will see how everything turns out in the end, I am like the rest of us, just along for the ride... Wake me up when it's almost over or when I can make a difference

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The #1 rule for a small business owner is commitment. The moment you set up a business and it isn't your main job your doomed to fail. This is a red flag from the beginning. You need to bleed blood, sweat and tears into a small business especially in a market that is so competitive. An educational background in what you are pursuing is a bonus, you MUST invest in capital, you need to constantly assess and forecast models both short term and long term(investment, technology) . It's not all about profitability but sustainability.

There is nothing in this company that would tell you it would be successful long term. Looked very much to me like a rinky-dink operation IMO. Everything begins and ends with the owners.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is kind of a shame, as Chase did offer unique products at their price point, I always thought their high sensitivity speakers and subs might have been a good deal for someone who wanted reference level sound for a dedicated room but didn't have the money for the usual vendors of that sort of equipment, ie Triad, JBL, Klipsch, Atlantic, etc. However, I always thought Chase himself acted erratically, and I regard the stated reason for his decision to close his business as infantile. Hopefully someone else can step in and fill the niche of low cost, high sensitivity speakers now that both ED and Chase are gone. Or maybe its just a doomed business model.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
you MUST invest in capital,
How do you do this?

I don't know the entire story but it seems like he is in trouble with the irs in some way {maybe unfair work wages or environment}... He may not be the best business man just by judging how he is dealing with closing this business, telling everyone he is closing the doors, not trying to find investors or interested parties in taking over the business, and a few other mistakes I shouldn't have to mention...

The fact is {or rather my opinion based on what I see and personally experience} is that small business is getting harder than it has ever been in my past... The people that can make a difference won't because small businesses don't contribute to election funds anywhere near what big business can...

Anyway, as the French say- C'est la vie .

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
How do you do this?
In context to an audio business? The well established and serious audio companies that have been around for a long time have invested heavily into machinery and testing equipment. CNC machines, all sorts of equipment for testing and building electronics and speakers. Building cabinets. Some even have their own factories. They invest in capital and they continue to invest based on forecasting and technology. There is no surprise the well tested and true companies are the ones heavily committed to investing back into the business. It isn't cheap either. Commitment in all facets including monetarily.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
In context to an audio business? The well established and serious audio companies that have been around for a long time have invested heavily into machinery and testing equipment. CNC machines, all sorts of equipment for testing and building electronics and speakers. Some even have their own factories. They invest in capital and they continue to invest based on forecasting and technology. There is no surprise the well tested and true companies all are heavily committed to investing back into the business. It isn't cheap either. Commitment.
I wasn't seriously asking how to invest in business assets, I was just trying to make a point by asking a question... Sorry, my attempt at half *** sarcasm, it won't happen again...

The point I was trying to make is, businesses do not do this anymore, they want profit on day 2. When I started my business I still worked my 50 hour a week job to pay my bills, and I invested any earned funds from my business into paying off my startup loan, when that loan was paid off {only $49K}, I took out a loan and built my first building {when that loan was paid off $119K 15 yr loan paid off in 4 years}, I sold that building {$219K my end} and built a larger one that actually makes a profit and has no loans {I use 2 units but built 4 and they are always rented}...

But IMO, you are correct, a business should hold as much of its profits as functioning assets as possible, this will insure future stability... I could have easily paid $2000 a month rent all these years but instead I opened a real estate company that rents its holdings to my businesses, so now I have over a million dollars in paid for property, and can pull a very nice paycheck year round for me and my wife, that comes out of the businesses profits since the overhead is so low and constantly paying towards total assets instead of paying someone elses mortgage...
Its EZ

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What a load of convoluted crap. Talk about the least graceful way to exit, lobbing insults and excuses all over the place. I mean how hard would it have been to just say

"Due to personal, professional, and monetary issues I feel that I must close the doors to CHT. I just feel as though I can't devote enough time, money, and energy to make it worthwhile for myself, my business partners, and my family. Thank you all for a wonderful four years and I hope you continue to enjoy your CHT products for many years ." Etc, etc.

Something along those lines, albeit a bit more articulate. Instead he shows his lack of class, and barely gives any sort of thank you to his customers. "Thank you for an interesting four years." I bet that really felt heartfelt to people who had spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on his stuff.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Hopefully someone else can step in and fill the niche of low cost, high sensitivity speakers now that both ED and Chase are gone. Or maybe its just a doomed business model.
With respect to subwoofers and CHT, I'd wonder how much competition was from other manufacturers ala Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, etc, and how much was from DIY. I mean, if you're looking at the PB13U and FV15HP, I don't think the odds are good that you're cross-shopping with the VS18.1. OTOH, if you're OK with a sub like the VS18.1 in terms of size and fit and finish, how much more of a leap is it just to cross into the world of DIY?

M

mdm1699

Audiophyte
With respect to subwoofers and CHT, I'd wonder how much competition was from other manufacturers ala Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, etc, and how much was from DIY. I mean, if you're looking at the PB13U and FV15HP, I don't think the odds are good that you're cross-shopping with the VS18.1. OTOH, if you're OK with a sub like the VS18.1 in terms of size and fit and finish, how much more of a leap is it just to cross into the world of DIY?
Amen. All this talk about regulation as if he is building spaceships to transport people to Mars.:D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis