J

jremsen

Audioholic Intern
I am currently running a fairly new pair of GoldenEar Triton Three floor standing speakers with 2 different receivers. For Home Theater I use the highly rated Denon AVR-X4000 with a Sony Blueray player and for 2-channel listening I am using an 85 watt per channel Harmon Kardon stereo receiver attached to my Rotel CD player and a Thorens TD-318 Turntable.

I currently just switch the receiver speaker wires depending on use at the time but was thinking about purchasing a Niles DSP-1 so that I do not have to switch any wires just throw the switch on the Niles unit. Don't know if this is the best solution OR should I just run everything through the Denon AVR switching to 2 channel via remote and sell my HK receiver to upgrade my blue ray player to an Oppo unit and use the upgraded Blue Ray player to play both DVDs and audio CDs.

Just looking for some input from members as to what would be the better choice sonically and financially - thanks to all responding members.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am currently running a fairly new pair of GoldenEar Triton Three floor standing speakers with 2 different receivers. For Home Theater I use the highly rated Denon AVR-X4000 with a Sony Blueray player and for 2-channel listening I am using an 85 watt per channel Harmon Kardon stereo receiver attached to my Rotel CD player and a Thorens TD-318 Turntable.

I currently just switch the receiver speaker wires depending on use at the time but was thinking about purchasing a Niles DSP-1 so that I do not have to switch any wires just throw the switch on the Niles unit. Don't know if this is the best solution OR should I just run everything through the Denon AVR switching to 2 channel via remote and sell my HK receiver to upgrade my blue ray player to an Oppo unit and use the upgraded Blue Ray player to play both DVDs and audio CDs.

Just looking for some input from members as to what would be the better choice sonically and financially - thanks to all responding members.
Just use the Denon. If you keep doing what you are doing you will blow something up.

What you are doing makes no sense whatsoever and carries a serious risk of causing major damage. Using the Niles would be safer, but a waste of money and create a lot of unnecessary cabling.

J

jremsen

Audioholic Intern
Thanks TLS Guy. Just disconnected the HK Stereo receiver connected the analog audio inputs from my Thorens turntable and ground wire to the Denon AVR X4000 and I cannot get any audio output when I play my vinyl??? I also tried to use the Denon input assistant but with same results... the record spins the cartridge sits on the record but there is no music playing??? Any ideas?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks TLS Guy. Just disconnected the HK Stereo receiver connected the analog audio inputs from my Thorens turntable and ground wire to the Denon AVR X4000 and I cannot get any audio output when I play my vinyl??? I also tried to use the Denon input assistant but with same results... the record spins the cartridge sits on the record but there is no music playing??? Any ideas?
What input did you use? Does that Denon have a phono input? You must use a high gain RIAA equalized input for a turntable. They are labelled phono. If you plug into that and select phono everything should work.

I downloaded the spec sheet. In the audio in section there is a set of phone inputs for your turntable. As long as you plug into these and select phone your turntable has to work.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

What input did you use? Does that Denon have a phono input? You must use a high gain RIAA equalized input for a turntable. They are labelled phono. If you plug into that and select phono everything should work.

I downloaded the spec sheet. In the audio in section there is a set of phone inputs for your turntable. As long as you plug into these and select phone your turntable has to work.
Unless he's using a MC cartridge with normal MC output level.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Unless he's using a MC cartridge with normal MC output level.
He had it connected to an HK receiver. I have never heard of a receiver with an MC phono input just MM.

highfigh

highfigh

He had it connected to an HK receiver. I have never heard of a receiver with an MC phono input just MM.
I don't remember seeing many and that was in the '80s. Still, he should hear something with a MC cartridge if the volume control was rotated (unless it was a Pioneer SX-1980, which had very little gain in the phono preamp).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis