Changed Resolution on BDP and Jaggies Disappeared

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I was watching Dark Knight on BD this afternoon and I saw a lot of jaggies on the opening pan (in the buildings where there's a bunch of parallel vertical lines). My tv (panny x1) is 768p, so I was sending a 720p signal from the bdp (panny bd60). I switched the output resolution to 1080p, and the jaggies almost entirely disappeared! I have no idea why this happened, but my guess is that it's easier for the tv to remove lines from the 1080p signal than add lines to the 720p signal. Anyone know what's going on?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I was watching Dark Knight on BD this afternoon and I saw a lot of jaggies on the opening pan (in the buildings where there's a bunch of parallel vertical lines). My tv (panny x1) is 768p, so I was sending a 720p signal from the bdp (panny bd60). I switched the output resolution to 1080p, and the jaggies almost entirely disappeared! I have no idea why this happened, but my guess is that it's easier for the tv to remove lines from the 1080p signal than add lines to the 720p signal. Anyone know what's going on?
The panel is handling the conversion....

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
The panel is handling the conversion....
Yeah it is. I didn't really word it clearly in the OP, but I wonder if its video scaler is that lacking. It seems logical to me for it to be less processing-intensive to remove lines than add them.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Yeah it is. I didn't really word it clearly in the OP, but I wonder if its video scaler is that lacking. It seems logical to me for it to be less processing-intensive to remove lines than add them.
with a good display always send the signal native, when possible and depending on the avr, bypass it. My Pioneer 1150 does a great job with 1080p signals even @24fps. If the signal you send to a 768p/720p display is native 720p it will look better than a 1080p in most cases.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What bandphan said. Regardless whether adding or subtracting is easier/better, you were doing VP twice. IOW, you were subtracting, and then also adding. Unless, source players actually output at 768 and not 720. I really don't know.

One of the things that helps reduce jaggies is good deinterlacing, but since TDK is natively 1080p, that's moot here.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What bandphan said. Regardless whether adding or subtracting is easier/better, you were doing VP twice. IOW, you were subtracting, and then also adding. Unless, source players actually output at 768 and not 720. I really don't know.
I have confirmed that players do output at 720, so the OP was indeed scaling twice. I'm sure a lot of people here knew that, but I wasn't 100% sure. After the player downscales to 720, to then get up to 768, another 127,488 pixels must be added.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Sorry for the delay in responding (test weeks are a b***h), but thanks for the help! I had a brain fart and forgot that the player would be downconverting. That makes sense, since there's not going to be multiple copies of a movie at different resolutions. Anyways, thanks a bunch!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis