T

Thunder001

Audiophyte
First of all i am new here and i enjoy reading useful posts from knowledgeable people.So my very first question concerns the Cerwin Vega subwoofers and tower speakers.Apparently everybody hates on this company and its speakers and subwoofers but i have been auditioning the CMX 5.1 system and tought it sounded very clean!.And for a budget 10 inches subwoofer i tought it sounded very tight...clean and fast and with lots of impact and that for both music and movies.Now i would like to know why are they so badly seen and why most people dont like this company?.I was considering the full CMX 5.1 system that this local dealer has in stock and it is on discount now for 999$ CND.It includes the CMX-26 tower speakers...a CMX-25C center...CMX-5 surrounds.I would need to buy the CMX-10S subwoofer wich is not included in the deal.I have owned many different brands in the past from Paradigm to HSU...Aperion...Kef...ect so i kinda know what sounds good or not and those Cerwin Vega towers paired with this subwoofer was sounding quite decent and good to my hear!.I would like to know why are people are hating on this company and products and any inputs would be gladly appreciated...thank you.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
CV has their uses, but accurate signal reproduction isn't one of them. They're particularly good at getting loud. They are not particularly accurate. If you like how they sound then that's really all that matters. If, however, you or anyone happens to be looking for something that will reproduce the signal as accurately as possible, then CV certainly falls short.

T

Thunder001

Audiophyte
CV has their uses, but accurate signal reproduction isn't one of them. They're particularly good at getting loud. They are not particularly accurate. If you like how they sound then that's really all that matters. If, however, you or anyone happens to be looking for something that will reproduce the signal as accurately as possible, then CV certainly falls short.
Thank you fuzz for your reply...gonna think about it since i need to re-built my entire system and also since i am a party guy maybe those CV speakers could be for me! lol.I am also considering Klipsch.I could get a pair of RF-52II for 677$ CND....but then it will take me more time to complete the system since the Klipsch's cost more..are the Klipsch worth it?.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Only you can decide that. Listen to both with a variety of content if possible and if you can't detect a noticeable difference go with the CV's. the klipsch are good speakers and will be more accurate than the CV's and prettier, but if they don't sound better to your ears why pay more?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I got a small pair of older CVs free when I picked up a used amp. I decided to try them out. To be fair, they actually did not sound that bad despite mylar tweeters and cheap cabinets. They weren't pretty, but sounded better than I expected. Not critical listening speakers, but good "fun" garage type speakers.

T

Thunder001

Audiophyte
I got a small pair of older CVs free when I picked up a used amp. I decided to try them out. To be fair, they actually did not sound that bad despite mylar tweeters and cheap cabinets. They weren't pretty, but sounded better than I expected. Not critical listening speakers, but good "fun" garage type speakers.
I got that thx j_garcia and thx also fuzz..i have been reading a lot of reviews lately and what do you guys think of the Synergy series from Klipsch?...are they a big step down from their Reference series?...i havent heard and auditioned the Synergy series yet but it looks like it could be a nice choice?.The KF-28 looks like a great speaker according to many reviews.Also i already bought a CV CMX-10S subwoofer (pardon me) lol as i really liked it when i auditioned the CV system.I am planning to get a second one at the same time when i will be getting the front speakers and also planning on quad of them in the near future.I have alsways wanted multiple subwoofers.I know there are better subs on the market but for around 380$ CND each i think they will do the work quite well.If the Synergy series isnt that much of a step down from the REF series i am willing to go with them.But if i decide to go with the RF series i would get the RF-62 instead of the 52's.Would it be worth the wait and more $$$ to go with the RF-62?.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I believe the Klipsch Synergy are similar to the icon series they sell at best buy. I've heard the icon multiple times and a few different best buys and I've heard the reference at a friends house. That being the case, IMHO, I would skip the synergy and go with the reference for sure, but that's based on my own subjective listening.

If you do choose to go with the klipsch.

T

Thunder001

Audiophyte
Well today i auditioned the Klipsch RF-42II and they sounded absolutely awesome to me with the CV CMX-10S subwoofer and i made the move and got them..:)....i want to thank fuzz092888 and also j_garcia for their comments and advices..next step will be a center chanel another sub and surrounds...btw i wanted to post pics but i dont know how to use the URL thing..i tought we just needed to go in our image files and upload them here but apparently not....anyway i am very happy with my choice and they are also very attractive speakers!..:)

T

Thunder001

Audiophyte
Well the RF-42II's sound's very good but i decided that i will get the RF-62 II's very soon for fronts and i will move the 42's in the back and use them for surrounds...i will also be getting the RC-62 center chanel and another CV CMX-10S subwoofer.Do you guys think that using the 42's for surrounds is a good thing since their primary goal isnt for that?.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Towers generally aren't the best for surround speakers for a few different reasons but that's no reason not to use them if you like the how they sound and it will save you money.

T

Thunder001

Audiophyte
Towers generally aren't the best for surround speakers for a few different reasons but that's no reason not to use them if you like the how they sound and it will save you money.
Yes i like the way they sound and thats what i will do..BUT now iv got a problem..i learned today that CV wont be selling the CMX series in Canada anymore so i wont be able to get a second CMX-10S subwoofer so i think i will just get rid of the one i already have and get dual SVS PB-1000 wich was actually my first choice but uhm i guess i did a wrong move about getting the CV...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't mean to rub it in............but yea you did :p

T

Thunder001

Audiophyte
I don't mean to rub it in............but yea you did :p
Yes i did and admitt it...i should learn to take a deep breath and relax before bying something...lol...i think i will keep the CV anyway and use it as a third sub in the back of the room and when i get the dual PB-1000'S put them on the front right and left...or is that a bad idea?...

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Well today i auditioned the Klipsch RF-42II and they sounded absolutely awesome to me with the CV CMX-10S subwoofer and i made the move and got them..:)....i want to thank fuzz092888 and also j_garcia for their comments and advices..next step will be a center chanel another sub and surrounds...btw i wanted to post pics but i dont know how to use the URL thing..i tought we just needed to go in our image files and upload them here but apparently not....anyway i am very happy with my choice and they are also very attractive speakers!..:)
I have a mint black RC-62 Klipsch Reference center speaker I am selling that I purchased new in 2009 that has one more year of warranty. I purchased a older used mint Klipsch C7 center that has larger drivers for my older Klipsch Cornwall (fronts) PM me if you are interested I will make you a deal on it. I have owned Klipsch speakers for over 35 years and like them all. Welcome to the Klipsch club:)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes i did and admitt it...i should learn to take a deep breath and relax before bying something...lol...i think i will keep the CV anyway and use it as a third sub in the back of the room and when i get the dual PB-1000'S put them on the front right and left...or is that a bad idea?...
Should be fine, although I don't have a lot of experience with CV subs. However, if the CV sub is a bit "one note" or is significantly behind the PB's in terms of bass accuracy and clarity, it may end up making the bass a little muddy or boomy. Try it with it and without it to know for sure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis