Center Speaker Unpgrade Audyssey Settings

BriDown

BriDown

Audioholic Intern
Hey All. I upgraded my center speaker from a Polk TSX250c to a CSiA6 to timber match the rest of my speakers. Previously, Audyssey Setup set my 250 to roughly -6.0db. When I connected the A6 and re-ran Audyssey, it set my new Center to roughly -1.5db. Why is this? Is it because the A6 is more power hungry than the 250? The A6 is hands down a better speaker than the 250. Also, I found I had to increase the A6 by 1db so dialogue stood out better.

Confused

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps the new speaker is more efficient in the range that Audyssy uses to make it's calculations.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Hey All. I upgraded my center speaker from a Polk TSX250c to a CSiA6 to timber match the rest of my speakers. Previously, Audyssey Setup set my 250 to roughly -6.0db. When I connected the A6 and re-ran Audyssey, it set my new Center to roughly -1.5db. Why is this? Is it because the A6 is more power hungry than the 250? The A6 is hands down a better speaker than the 250. Also, I found I had to increase the A6 by 1db so dialogue stood out better.
Don't put too much weight into the trim having changed. The good thing is that it is still in the negative, meaning the receiver is more than capable of driving the A6.

WRT, having to increase the trim by 1dB, this is completely a matter of preference. Maybe you got used to the 250 and to get the same apparent dialogue volume from the A6, you need the channel slightly hotter.

Perhaps the new speaker is more efficient in the range that Audyssy uses to make it's calculations.
Most likely the difference in center channel trim is because of the difference in efficiency from 500-5000Hz as you mentioned, but you got the logic reversed (maybe you need more coffee :p). The A6 is less efficient than the CS250, so the receiver has to pump more power into it to get Reference Levels and so the volume trim is higher (less negative).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Most likely the difference in center channel trim is because of the difference in efficiency from 500-5000Hz as you mentioned, but you got the logic reversed (maybe you need more coffee :p). The A6 is less efficient than the CS250, so the receiver has to pump more power into it to get Reference Levels and so the volume trim is higher (less negative).
Yep. A slex of dystouchia there.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

Confused
According to the Polk website, your old center had a sensitivity of 91db (1w?, unknown distance). Polk says the new center has a sensitivity of 90db, although Amazon lists it as 89. In any case, your newer center has a little lower sensitivity than the old one, so it needs more power to play at the same volume.

Part of the difference might also have to do with mic positions. Maybe you were a few inches off in your measurements between the old and the new.

It could also be that the old speaker reacted differently with your placement location than the new. My center is only rated to go down to 55Hz, but its placement in my entertainment center adds resonance that results in Audyssey auto setting its low cutoff at 40Hz, and I can actually feel the floor thump a little when running Audyssey's test sweeps. (I always raise the HPF to 80Hz first thing after the calculations are completed, though.)

Or if you didn't turn off your HVAC before running Audyssey setup this time, maybe the higher noise floor messed with the results.

Ultimately, all that matters is how it can be made to sound. Don't get too hung up on the numbers. If you have to turn your dialog up to +3, do it and forget it. *shrug* My center channel has a sensitivity rating of 87db@1w/1m. Audyssey usually sets the dialogue volume at +1.0. I raise it to +7.5. No harm done, and I don't have to strain to separate dialog from music.

Last edited:
BriDown

BriDown

Audioholic Intern
Good input and considerations. I feel better now, thanks! I had not thought about the HVAC or specific mic setup, although I try to place the mic stand at the same place each time. I understand more how important it is to have the environment the same each time I run Audyssey and how different speakers will effect outcomes.

Thanks ALL!
Brian

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis