Center Speaker Output not Working; will B speakers give me dialogue?

I

illinus

Audiophyte
Howdy, first time poster seeking assistance from those smarter than me!

I have a Pioneer VSX-D509S given to me for free with the disclaimer that it 'doesnt work.' I've tested all of the speaker outputs and the only one that doesn't produce any sound at all is (of course!) the center speaker output. I plan to use the system for TV/DVD, music (via PC), and gaming (PC and console). A few questions then:

1) What could be the potential diagnoses for the output not working? I am an electronics novice, but given good instructions it might be worth a shot to pop the cover off.

2) What can I expect if I set up A speakers without a front speaker at all? Anyway to compensate with the other A speakers?

3) The receiver has separate B outputs, which I know are meant to be used in another area. However, is it a terrible idea to just use the B speakers as the primaries? Will I get the dialogue from the B Front R/L speakers? Why do the B outputs not have a front speaker output anyway?

Thanks!!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You don't posilutely absotively need a center channel for HT. Assuming the receiver is functional enough to be able to tell it that you don't have a center speaker, it will send the center channel dialogue to the right and left front speakers.

The "B" speakers will play a stereo signal which is an amalgam of all the channels, That includes the center channel, as well as all the other channels.

I

illinus

Audiophyte
Thanks!

Decisions..How is stereo signal different, sound quality-wise, from what is (or should be) produced by the A speakers?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

1) What could be the potential diagnoses for the output not working? I am an electronics novice, but given good instructions it might be worth a shot to pop the cover off.
Do you have an oscilloscope, DVM, signal generator, an assortment of soldering irons and other electronics troubleshooting and repair equipment? Can you read a schematic? If so you can probably order a repair manual from Pioneer.

2) What can I expect if I set up A speakers without a front speaker at all? Anyway to compensate with the other A speakers?
I assume you mean “without a center speaker?” If you don’t have a center speaker (or in this case, it doesn’t work) you can set up the receiver’s menu for operation without a center speaker. It will divert dialog to the two front speakers.

I have no idea what you mean by “other A speakers.”

quote] 3) The receiver has separate B outputs, which I know are meant to be used in another area. However, is it a terrible idea to just use the B speakers as the primaries? [/quote]Assuming only one pair of front speakers are being used, using the B speakers is the same thing as using the A speaker terminals.

[quote Will I get the dialogue from the B Front R/L speakers?][/quote]Yes, if the receiver is set up for no center channel, as noted above.

Why do the B outputs not have a front speaker output anyway?
Have no idea what you mean by that, especially since the B outputs are labeled “Front” on the back panel?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Decisions..How is stereo signal different, sound quality-wise, from what is (or should be) produced by the A speakers?
It’s the same thing.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis