Center Channel Subwoofer

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They are all 8 inch powered woofers.

I'll play around with different settings and let you guys know what I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The size of the woofer is 8", but the volume/size of the surround and center speaker cabinets is probably too small to have significant subwoofer output.

I would be too afraid of blowing those 8" woofers to use the LFE for the center and surrounds.

My Center and Surrounds have subwoofers too. But the volume/size of those subwoofers is as big as a regular dedicated subwoofer (13"x20"x30").

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
As far as the Center is concerned, as mentioned before, consider it a powered woofer to aide in the depth of the Center channel, Not a powered Sub. Either run speaker wire only or connect the RCA to the Full Range output, NOT the LFE.

As far as the connections and settings on the other speakers, it really depends on the total number of speakers with the built in powered woofers and how "your" AVR handles the LFE signal when the Sub setting is No/None.

Last edited:
Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
They are all 8 inch powered woofers.

I'll play around with different settings and let you guys know what I find.

Fascinating !! Never heard of a speaker system like that! Ya.....that's what I would do. Try different settings and stick with the one that sounds best for you.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
One thing with your mains , based on your pictures they are to close to the wall

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
One thing with your mains , based on your pictures they are to close to the wall
Too close will have to work, there's no more room as it is haha.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Too close will have to work, there's no more room as it is haha.

Not sure haha works either lol. With dipole/bipole speakers the room behind them is important as to when that the speakers rear waves hit the listening position. To close to side and back wall will cause issues.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
Not sure haha works either lol. With dipole/bipole speakers the room behind them is important as to when that the speakers rear waves hit the listening position. To close to side and back wall will cause issues.
There is no room, it has to be that way. What do you suggest when there no room to move them out into the space?

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
As far as the Fronts go, those have a single 4.5"driver and a tweeter on the rear side, 6-8" from the wall should be adequate.

Also, it looks like you've toed them, hopefully you spent the time to set them for the best phantom center and didn't just point them at your MLP, with bi-poles this can be very room dependant and simply pointing them at you "may" not be the best positioning.

Also, to go along with my earlier post, ALL speakers set to Large and speaker wire only, with no dedicated subs, probably isn't giving you the best base you can get, with your setup.

The reason I say this is that with your AVR, from what I can decipher from the manual, when you have the Sub setting to NO, the LFE channel is split between your mains only, Not all the speakers set to Large, and with no dedicated Sub in the room, your probably better off with all the speakers (except the Center) passing LFE, esp since the speakers themselves have individual gains for the Powered woofers, which should give you pretty good control.

If I'm incorrect about the AVR then you're fine, but if I'm right then you'll probably be better off using the AVR's crossover, setting the speakers to Small and running running cables to the RCA's for LFE on everything but the Center.
I'd use these to start, then adjust to taste:
Center - 60-40hz (you won't see much under 35hz out of the Center channel signal, so in essence it won't be much different than Large anyway, and your porlwered woofer will still have an effect on the sound)
Fronts - 80hz
Surrounds - 100hz (they are only 3.5" drivers)

Also I'd try spinning your surrounds so that the rear drivers aren't reflecting off the wall, but so they are orientated like a standard bi-pole bookshelf speaker, forward and back or off both walls in a corner. This could also help with any negative effects of them being so close to you.

Just things to try if you like.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis