Center channel placement

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Not too many options that work with the wife. I may be left with placing the center in the tv stand rack on the lowest shelf just off the ground. Is this too low? It's a B & W HTM7. Thoughts?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
do you have a picture?

place the center speaker as close as possible to the screen. angle it towards you if it's too low or high.

W

WWBLEVINS

Audiophyte
I considered the center channel placement way too long and decided it was best below screen and close to the height of the mains. I'm using the Polk CSi5, which is quite large at 24" wide. Not much choice in A/V credenzas that will accept a center this wide. And if it does, it is lacking in available component space. So I devised a platform as it were that has the same width and rear taper as the DLP that sits on it. This platform sits on top of the credenza. The speaker sits in a "tunnel" in the platform center and has the added benefit of lifting the screen 10 1/2 inches. Veneer it in black ash or paint piano black and it looks like it came from Samsung! It's not that complicated to do if you are half-skilled in woodworking, or most cabinet shops will build it paint/veneer ready for about $1,000.

Attachments

Last edited:
L

Livin

Audioholic Intern
if it is low to the ground make sure you aim it up a bit... most centers are placed above the TV so closer to ear level... that is where you want the sound to hit ideally.

B

buzzy

Audioholic Intern
Every seat in the room needs to be able to have a line of sight to it. If that works, it might be an acceptable if not great solution.

wwblevins idea, of adding a shelf of some kind under the TV, is a much better idea for those who can make it work.

Tetonmtnbiker

Tetonmtnbiker

Enthusiast
potto,

I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-Center-Channel-Speaker-CCH1B/dp/B00067AIEU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3432598-0741403?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173474795&sr=8-1 and it works well with my Center channel. It works on RPTV's and CRT's only though, so it is out of the question for other types. My center channel is a Monitor Audio that weighs 21lbs and it is stable. the feet that hang off the front I added a little clear gum padding to to keep it from scratching the black surround on my screen. I was able to angle it down to my listening position by extending the rear "feet".

Teton

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis