Center Channel Issues

J

jselter

Audiophyte
Hi,

I have a JBL es25c center channel, and I've started noticing the dialog is extremely quiet relative to the left and right front channels. On further inspection, it appears as though the left woofer on the center channel might not be putting out sound (or as much as the right woofer).

Two questions come to mind. Would this produce a quieter center channel relative to other speakers? I imagine it would. Also, is this a problem with the speaker (i.e. needs to be repaired or replaced) or is it possible that there is a wiring or amp issue?

thanks,
Jonathan

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
That suggests a speaker issue because only one driver is affected which would affect the volume. But how is the speaker crossed over? Do both woofers get the same frequencies? Perhaps your manual would say. But if the speaker was louder before than this would point to a speaker issue.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
It's a 3-way with a central midrange and tweeter. Both woofers will get the same signal.

The easy way to determine this is to just put on a test tone or crank the volume and look at the woofers. At higher volumes you can see them move. If one moves less than the other you have an issue. It's either with the wiring or the woofer itself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis