Center Channel choice

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Looking to upgrade existing center channel (currently have a lower end Kef).
Here's what my home theatre will look like within the next couple of weeks:

Yamaha RX1700
B & W 703s
Pioneer 50 inch plasma (720)
Oppo DV-970HD
Cheap Energy Sub (will upgrade this at some point -patience!)

I was thinking to perhaps stay in the B & W 700 series with the HDM7 or a firend recommended looking at Axioms. Another tidbit to assist in providing me feedback is that I upgrade floor speakers every year (Worldwide stereo allows me to apply the purchase price of the old models towards new ones). Typically spend about $500 per year to upgrade - I guess that takes me to B & W 704s or low end 800 series?

Finally I was hoping to spend between $400 and $700.

Thanks, Chris

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
Chris, I think most people will tell you that you should have a center speaker that is vocally/sonically matched to your front towers. That makes intuitive sense.

However, it's your money so it's up to you and your ears (and your wallet). I personally have been using a center that was not even built by the same company as my towers and it never bothers me. Just depends on how critical you are with your listening. If I were in your position, I would err on the side of tonally matching your center with your towers by buying a center from the same company and the same product line. B&W should be able to tell you what center speaker in their lineup is the best sonic match for your towers). But, in the end, do whatever makes sense for your situation.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Center channel

Chris,
You definately want a center channel that is a tonal match for your mains. Stick with the B&W 700 series, or maybe the 800 center if you plan to upgrade the mains soon.

Spending the $700 for a good sub would also be a major updgrade for your system.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
By all means, keep it in the family. If you are headed toward the 800 series for upgrades, that is where you should go.

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Ok does the sub need to stayt in the family too?

If I decide to upgrade that? Choices there?

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Ok if I keep it the family and get the B & W sub

Can someone direct me to the best/cheapest place to buy the HTM7?

Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis