Cell-Phones Join DDT & Coffee as Cat-2B Carcinogens

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Associated Press reported Tuesday, that the World Health Organization has linked cell-phone use to cancer. The study officially puts cell-phones into the same cancer-causing category as the pesticide DDT, gasoline exhaust fumes and coffee. But… Coffee! Some of us morning java addicts are just a little more concerned with our caffeine beverage of choice being considered as harmful exhaust fumes and DDT than we are about cell phone use. So, what’s behind the firestorm created every time someone mentions cell-phone use and cancer in the same sentence – is this study serious?

Discuss "Cell-Phones Join DDT & Coffee as Cat-2B Carcinogens" here. Read the article.

majorloser

majorloser

What if you carry your cell phone in your front pants pocket?
I don't need my brain, but "Big Dave and the Twins" is another matter all together.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Listening to loud music a carcinogen?

Watching all three of the Transformers movies a carcinogen (maybe not now since Megan Fox is off the payroll)?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
What if you carry your cell phone in your front pants pocket?
I don't need my brain, but "Big Dave and the Twins" is another matter all together.
Why not play it safe and just stick a cucumber in there?

:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Interesting article, thanks Wayde.

I do find it interesting however that iPhone and Blackberry both advise against putting their phones directly against your head. The Blackberry states a safe minimum distance of 1" while the iPhone states .2". This is how they can pass FCC limits of "safe" radiation levels. You also have to wonder how much radiation these phones are emitting when boosting a weak signal to improve reception. Just how are they rating these phones, under what test conditions?

The microwave radiation dissipates 1/r^2 which means the farfield radiation is minimal but when people cram the phone up to their skull, this is no longer a farfield condition. Anyone ever notice after talking on a cell phone for awhile, both the phone and your ear feel warm?

Personally I hate cellphones as they voice quality and reception almost always sucks no matter what service or phone you have. Bluetooth is even worse but we live in a society where we continue to embrace poorer and poorer sound quality for convenience.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I would think that in order for cell phones to pose a cancer risk, the energy of the radiation needs to be sufficient in order to break at least one chemical bond to allow for some sort of mutation to occur. To my knowledge this is not the case. My ear also feels warm when I lay for too long on a pillow.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Bluetooth is even worse.
Why is Bluetooth recommended for safety sake? Aren't you literally sticking a signal generating device into your ear when you're using a Bluetooth headset?

I guess the signal isn't as strong because it only has a range of around 10 Meters rather than having to beam to the local cell tower.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why is Bluetooth recommended for safety sake? Aren't you literally sticking a signal generating device into your ear when you're using a Bluetooth headset?

I guess the signal isn't as strong because it only has a range of around 10 Meters rather than having to beam to the local cell tower.
I think Gene was referring to poor audio quality of BT headsets...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis