Audioholic
@lovinthehd: Yes, but I'd like to minimize the number of boxes I have so I'm looking for a CD player. What did you have in mind?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd: Yes, but I'd like to minimize the number of boxes I have so I'm looking for a CD player. What did you have in mind?
Just was thinking out loud sort of.....that would open you up to newer gear that wouldn't need servicing particularly like an old used cd player. Otoh many modern optical disc players may need a tv/display for best navigation. A dac could easily be tucked away and can be quite small, too.

Reminds me, I've got an old Sony disc changer languishing in the closet for years....don't know if it works still, haven't hooked it up in many years, but it worked fine when I moved on to more capable optical disc players....or if I have the remote still....you could have it for cost of shipping....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
You seem to have your heart set on a CD player. This is the one to get, and probably the only one that will stand the test of time. It is built like a battleship and an excellent performer. If you want the ultimate, this is the pro version.
WOW. That really looks interesting. My 2013 NAD is still going strong but being 10 years old I wonder how much life is still in there? Do CD players degrade with use or time regardless of use? I don't use it more than 10 -12 hours a week.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
WOW. That really looks interesting. My 2013 NAD is still going strong but being 10 years old I wonder how much life is still in there? Do CD players degrade with use or time regardless of use? I don't use it more than 10 -12 hours a week.
Not sure, I think they are long lived. My Marantz CD player is probably 30 years old. My DVD player is 18 years old. My Panasonic and Sony BD players are just four years old. The only CD player I had trouble with was my Revox player I bought in 1984. The motor that worked the CD tray failed. I was able to get the parts from the retired head service tech in Nashville. So I repaired it and sold it to a member here. So my impression is that they are fairly long lived. I am sure you could do a search on that NAD CD player and see what they are known for. Everything is known for something, just some known for a lot more than others.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, I did the search and didn't see any longevity issues. I guess I'll just keep it until it starts to fail then buy another one. I really do like the sound but since I've only listened to this for 10 years I don't know if another player would sound any better. BTW I bought one of the 1st players available in DFW in the early 80s the top loading Magnavox cdp100 I believe. Spent over 1000 us dollars on that bad boy which would probably be well over 2500 today. Man, I used to be really into this hobby. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks, I did the search and didn't see any longevity issues. I guess I'll just keep it until it starts to fail then buy another one. I really do like the sound but since I've only listened to this for 10 years I don't know if another player would sound any better. BTW I bought one of the 1st players available in DFW in the early 80s the top loading Magnavox cdp100 I believe. Spent over 1000 us dollars on that bad boy which would probably be well over 2500 today. Man, I used to be really into this hobby. :)
I think my Revox was $1200.

Audioholic
@lovinthehd: Thanks. This particular system of mine is a dedicated 2 channel, "vintage," audio only system. What I tried to do with this system is pair interesting and excellent examples of vintage gear I am interested in, or have direct historical experience with. While perfectly adequate, a BD or universal player is not what I find interesting or appropriate for this system. I already have a BD player set up to a TV and a 5.1 channel receiver for TV/movie watching.

Yes, I would be interested in your Sony disc changer. Please let me know the model number and if it's operational. Thanks for the offer. I can always use an extra CD player.

Last edited:

Audioholic
@TLS Guy: I am somewhat familiar with the TASCAM CD-200, it's on the list, thanks. As I stated in my reply to lovinthehd, it's not that I'm dead set on a CD player, its what I had envisioned for this particular vintage 2-channel system, and a universal or BD, while perfectly acceptable, is not consistent with this type of system.

The system is as follows: McCormack DNA-1 (upgraded), Audio Research SP14, Kenwood KT-7500, Kenwood KX-1060, Dual 1225, Paradigm Compact Monitors, and until recently, a Sony CDP-620ES II. I am currently using a borrowed Sony CDP-C245 as stand-in until I get a replacement for the 620 ES II.

Last edited:

Audioholic
@davidscott : I am not an expert by any means, but I believe, and I have read, that the more a CD player is used, the more likely it is to have a potential issue - just like anything. I have a Technics SL-PD987 changer I've owned since '94 or '95 and it's still going strong. I would expect a CD player with your stated usage to last a good, long time - provided it has reasonably low hours and has been properly cared for.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd: Thanks. This particular system of mine is a dedicated 2 channel, "vintage," audio only system. What I tried to do with this system is pair interesting and excellent examples of vintage gear I am interested in, or have direct historical experience with. While perfectly adequate, a BD or universal player is not what I find interesting or appropriate for this system. I already have a BD player set up to a TV and a 5.1 channel receiver for TV/movie watching.

Yes, I would be interested in your Sony disc changer. Please let me know the model number and if it's operational. Thanks for the offer. I can always use an extra CD player.
It's a CDP-C235 https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/cdp-c235.shtml

I took a brief look for the remote, didn't find, think I might have pitched it (maybe just because batteries left too long? I rarely used the remote when I had just a 2ch system). I will plug it in and load some discs and see if it still functions well....let you know.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

@TLS Guy: I am somewhat familiar with the TASCAM CD-200, it's on the list, thanks. As I stated in my reply to lovinthehd, it's not that I'm dead set on a CD player, it what I had envisioned for this particular vintage 2-channel system and a universal or BD, while perfectly acceptable, is not consistent with this type of system.

The system is as follows: McCormack DNA-1 (upgraded), Audio Research SP14, Kenwood KT-7500, Kenwood KX-1060, Dual 1225, Paradigm Compact Monitors, and until recently, a Sony CDP-620ES II. I am currently using a borrowed Sony CDP-C245 as stand-in until I get a replacement for the 620 ES II.
Now I understand why you want something vintage. I guess you will just have to look on eBay daily. I was surprised how few there were yesterday, usually there are pages of them. However those TASCAM units have been around for ages, and would qualify as vintage. They have not changed in over 20 years. They are built like tanks and will probably see you out.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
First the remote issue. "Back in the Day" remotes were extra on some models. Since the rest of the system did not have remotes back then, people skipped the remote. For instance I never bought the remote for my Revox CD player. The other issue is that early remotes were often useless. The remote that came with my Marantz CD player, never worked. The dealer told me none of them did, so I chucked it away. So I have always used that unit without one and still do.
Well, back in the day, late '80s/early 90's, I bought a Sony CD player that was the model below the one with the remote. Then I bought a cheap universal remote for the TV. Don't recall how I figured it out, probably by mistake, but the remote was able to control the CD player. There wasn't even a window for on the front panel for the IR sensor. I ended up being able to get the functionality the next model had.

Like you said, back then a lot of stereo systems didn't have remotes. I ended up never really used the functionality. It was normal to get up and walk to it to do anything...

Today I just rip the cd to my computer. Then put it in a box with all my other cd's.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have had this now discontinued, basic Tascam CD-200 and have flogged it steadily for the last 4-5 years. It only holds one CD but that's all I can listen to at a time and I don't mind changing them. It's the only Tascam I have owned but so far, so good.

It came with a remote as well.

I have a buddy that comes by here to escape his ball & chain so he can slum-it and drink a few beers listening to the mishap systems that I set up frequently. He has a proper HT setup but still likes this as much, or more. We can sit here and shoot the bull for hours while pausing between songs to discuss what is taking place in the music, at least until his exalted ruler calls wondering if he's coming home. He then tells her he has to wait a bit to drive because he had beers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis