CD Player or Blue Ray

S

stato

Junior Audioholic
I have a Denon DVD player I use for audoi and I am thinking of buying a dedicated CD player... most likely a Cambridge Audio 650C. I have read on here that people are recommending to just buy a Blue Ray player even for stereo listening.

Is this the right way to go and if so which BR players would you recommend to listen too. I have about $600.00 to spend

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe the Oppo BDP-83 under budget, or the BDP-83 SE over budget. You might have a hard time finding one to listen to in Australia, since it is an ID product, and I don't know how high the shipping gets either. Just email them, as they're known for excellent CS. What is also nice is that this player loads as fast as anything else out there. The 83 is also sold thru Amazon US, if that might possibly make anything easier for you . . . Hmm, maybe this page might help you find some sort of shipping surcharges . . .?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596190&

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Is this the right way to go and if so which BR players would you recommend to listen too.
Just a reminder: If you're going to connect digitally, you won't need to "listen to" the players, they just push the information to the receiver. The receiver will be generating the audio signal.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think the Oppo BDP-83 is going to be more expensive than that in Australia. Cambridge offers a blu-ray player but I believe it is based on the Oppo as well (as was the case with their previous DVD players) :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Denon DVD player I use for audoi and I am thinking of buying a dedicated CD player... most likely a Cambridge Audio 650C. I have read on here that people are recommending to just buy a Blue Ray player even for stereo listening.

Is this the right way to go and if so which BR players would you recommend to listen too. I have about $600.00 to spend
I have not bothered to try playing a CD with my BD players yet but I feel the SQ of BR disc better than that of my SACD and DVDA discs even when comparing them in Stereo (2 channel) only.

S

stato

Junior Audioholic
Thanks all for your input. I only have a 2.1 system at present as I am rebuilding slowly. This means that I am using the DAC's on whatever source I am using as I have no receiver as yet. Any suggestions would be nice but would have to have pre out ability as I have 2 x bridged Rotels running the fronts.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I presume you have a preamp in the picture? Going direct to the amps from the source is not a good idea.

S

stato

Junior Audioholic
Correct. Rotel pre . I bought a CA650C cd player yesterday and plugged it in. Sounds nice. Very suprised that max volume I can use is now only at about 1/3 at most. Using the Denon 1930 it could go almost halfway which from past experience is about normal. I presume a stronger signal and clearer would be the reason for this. Going on annual leave as of tonight for two weeks so will have plenty of time to go through the cd collection to have a relisten and hopefully be happy that I spent $$$ on a dedicated Cd player.

95prelude

Audioholic Intern
Correct. Rotel pre . I bought a CA650C cd player yesterday and plugged it in. Sounds nice. Very suprised that max volume I can use is now only at about 1/3 at most. Using the Denon 1930 it could go almost halfway which from past experience is about normal. I presume a stronger signal and clearer would be the reason for this. Going on annual leave as of tonight for two weeks so will have plenty of time to go through the cd collection to have a relisten and hopefully be happy that I spent $$$ on a dedicated Cd player.
I like my 2 channel setup, not the best but it sounds great for a bedroom setup.

S

stato

Junior Audioholic
95prelude, I would be quite happy to have a system like yours sitting in my bedroom some where. I am not even allowed a flat screen on the wall let alone a baby set of 'digms. Its nearly winter so I am working on the "boss" to let me put something small in there so she can keep warm.

95prelude

Audioholic Intern
Both systems are in my bedroom. I call it a bedroom HT.

Last edited:
S

stato

Junior Audioholic
Thats what you call having your cake and eating it too.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis