Cassette Tape Makes a Comeback

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
For mass storage such as backup/restore functions this makes a lot of sense. But I can just imagine the mechanics and electronics involved in the fast forward/rewinding needed for random access to find that one particular song hidden somewhere in those millions of songs stored sequentially on the tape, not to mention the physical stress on the tape itself.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I remember my old CAD workstation with Windows-NT :D had a tape storage.
12Gb was pretty good, better than DVD's.
It was meant for backups and archiving.
The article sounds like it just used the music and book as examples to show off the capacity.
They're saying tapes used less power than a constantly spinning disk drive.
Pretty cool, what's old is new again.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I remember playing with TRS-80 Model 1's and using an "official" Radio Shack tape recorder made specifically for that purpose. Hint: it was a regular portable cassette machine with fancy black external.

Can you say "CLOAD", kiddies? :D

OK, so we're both old. I guess the secret's out now...

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The tapes I used looked more like small camcorder tapes.
I missed the whole TRS-80 thing.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The tapes I used looked more like small camcorder tapes.
I missed the whole TRS-80 thing.
Don't try to weasel your way out of it. old man. You're a dinosaur, too.

Next I'll bet you try to deny working with 5 1/4" floppys. :rolleyes:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I remember when we figured out that you could buy a single sided 5-1/4" floppy disk and use a hole punch to punch a hole in the side and turn it into a double sided disk. We thought we were genius'. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I still had some 5 1/4 discs around some years back, but no drives to use them in LOL.

I still have a 40 MEGABYTE 3.5" hard disc :) Tossed the computer, but kept that for posterity.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I remember playing with TRS-80 Model 1's and using an "official" Radio Shack tape recorder made specifically for that purpose. Hint: it was a regular portable cassette machine with fancy black external.

Can you say "CLOAD", kiddies? :D

OK, so we're both old. I guess the secret's out now...
Yup, I remember our first computer was the TRS-80, then the TRS-81 after that. Yup, the old tape recorder as a drive. C:load xxx, then hit the play button :D And we had a subscrition, I think it was called Rainbow Magazine. Every month they would send a cassette tape full of programs with the mag that had more programs that you could type in yourself.

I still use some old DOS computers at work.

Also, cassettes as backups/archives never really went away. Our server at my old job about 7 years ago had the tape backup system.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Anybody else remember the great CP/M vs TRSDOS (and GWBasic) wars?

That lasted pretty much until IBM came out with their PC and the 800 pound gorilla stomped on everyone.

How about Visicalc?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
That lasted pretty much until IBM came out with their PC
I was there and intimately involved. It was the coolest thing ever! Every advancement was amazing... 8086 > 80286 uproc... 10Mb HDD... etc. It was a fascinating time and I was lucky to be involved in it.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Has anyone tried that device 'Cassette to CD' convertor? $60, ad found here on Audioholics. I dusted off the old Advent 201, seems okay, will try that first.

IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis