Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Upgrade w/ Cash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Just curious as to how most of us purchase our HT equipment. I learned my lesson the hard way when I was younger. So no credit for me. Working in electronics retail has its advantages price wise. I always find a good deal and sell when I have money to buy something I want with cash.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Cash on plastic (debit card). I don't like to spend money I don't have. That way I know the equipment is MINE! ALL MINE!

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I usually pay with a credit card, but only if there is special financing (i.e. 12 month no interest, no payments). Then I take the total price and divide it by the term of the financing minus one month. Then make that payment per month and pay the balance off one month prior to the terms of the financing ending.

i.e if I buy something that costs, say $1100 and I get 12 months free financing with no interest. I would pay $100 a month for 11 months bringing my balance to $0 one month prior to the terms expiring.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I always use a credit card so if there is any problems I can fight it through the card company if needed.

I always pay it off before any interest is charged.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Credit card.

They have a ton of clout and buyer protection. If you get screwed on something you paid for with a CC, they WILL make it right (especially AmEx).

No excuse to buy with cash.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
i pay mostly cash for everything (debit card).

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
CC for protection, then pay it the next month.......

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
My CC doubles the manufacturer's warranty on anything I purchase with it, therefore I use that then pay it off with cash right after I buy it. (online banking) So I guess it is an amalgamation of both?

~Chuck

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
CaliHwyPatrol said:
My CC doubles the manufacturer's warranty on anything I purchase with it, therefore I use that then pay it off with cash right after I buy it. (online banking) So I guess it is an amalgamation of both?

~Chuck
What if you buy form an unathorized internet source. Can you go through the cc company for your warrenty or is it then void also. Maybe you have to wait until the oem period is over then the cc warrenty kicks in???

Just scaming...

KeithT

KeithT

Audioholic Intern
cash/debt card only for local, money order/debt for long distance

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Other

Online is always a credit card.

In person: if it's under $100 debit card or cash, over $100 CC and then pay it off when the bill comes in. I'm sure you all know this but never use a debit card for online purchases, you are much safer using a CC.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
STRONGBADF1 said:
What if you buy form an unathorized internet source. Can you go through the cc company for your warrenty or is it then void also. Maybe you have to wait until the oem period is over then the cc warrenty kicks in???

Just scaming...
I have no idea, I don't buy from unauthorized internet sources, so I couldn't tell you. But logically, if there is no warranty to begin with (due to buying from an unauthorized source) then doubling nothing still gives you nothing, thus still having no warranty. :)

~Chuck

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on where I'm buying it. If I find a good deal on the web, new or used, I use CC for protection. Local stuff, if I don't have the cash, that means I can't afford it (start saving :D )

J

jrfuda

Audioholic Intern
There are a lot of advantages to paying with a CC over cash - mos thave mentioned.

1. Buyer protection, additional warranty
2. CC Rewards (miles, cash back, etc.) though this is only "worth it" if you pay you balance in full each month.

Fortuneately we DO pay in full each month.

All our bills are paid online and/or automatically so no more check writing for us either! It has actually gotten to the point where cash is a pain, we always have to keep some on hand in case we want some fast food or something - though more and more of these places are taking plastic now :)

We do budget carefully, however - becuase if we ever get our monthly CC balance higher than we can afford to pay in full at the end of the month, then we're in trouble, becuase rewards cards carry higher interest rates than regular cards.

We've been getting 1-2 free round trip tickets every year for the past few years since we've adopted this system and haven't paid a lick of interest to anyone since 2000 :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Ditto.

STRONGBADF1 said:
I always use a credit card so if there is any problems I can fight it through the card company if needed.

I always pay it off before any interest is charged.
Wot he said! Let the credit card loan me the cash for up to 45 days with no interest. ...and have someone on my side if I get screwed. So far I've been lucky but I deal with well established companies.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
I use a CC...

...for a coupla' reasons...most which have been already mentioned...also I don't have to carry truckloads of cash nor do I have to count my change or worry about gettin' bogus bux...however, I don't carry a balance...Amex doesn't allow it and my other cards get paid in full upon receipt of their statement...so it's really deferred cash and a bookkeeping aid...

jimHJJ(...I have no interest in paying interest...)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
CaliHwyPatrol said:
But logically, if there is no warranty to begin with (due to buying from an unauthorized source) then doubling nothing still gives you nothing, thus still having no warranty. :) ~Chuck
Unless we are talking about evolution, where you can get something from nothing. Oh sorry off topic, but I could not resist it :D

G

gnagel

Junior Audioholic
I always pay with a credit card. I always pay off the balance before any interest accrues.

Credit cards offer too many benefits over cash---convenience, rewards (e.g., 1% cash back), protection, etc.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
jeffsg4mac said:
Unless we are talking about evolution, where you can get something from nothing. Oh sorry off topic, but I could not resist it :D
:eek: Well in the interest of evolution, we should ask the chimps what they use to pay for things. Then we can see how far we've come along. :)

~Chuck

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis