B

bmf795

Audioholic Intern
Am considering finally upgrading my stock system on my 07 Jeep 4dr JK. Suggestions on car audio forums, websites or places to buy in Central FL?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The only car audio site I have ever visited, is DIYMA. It's a useful resource IMO with a focus on top notch sound quality, or at least what is possible in a car environment.

What exactly are you looking to do? Will drivers be located in stock locations or are you planning on doing extensive mods?

B

bmf795

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to upgrade the fronts to components with the tweeters on the dash, coaxials in the soundbar, add an amp and subwoofer with an enclosure. Still think I am going to stay with the stock head unit but that would be the last thing I would do. I have been looking at alpine, polk, jl audio and powerbass stuff but my mind is open. My goal is to make it better than stock(which should take much) but not spend 1k and up to do it all.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I am looking to upgrade the fronts to components with the tweeters on the dash,
For best results, I recommend going active. The rewards are well worth it in a car environment. You will need a 4 channel amp for the fronts, although it doesn't need to be very high powered in a car environment contrary to the seeming need for hundreds of watts, i can get pretty damn "loud with only around 30 to 50 (clean) watts to either the woofer or tweeter.

What I would personally do, is tweeters in the A-pillar, aimed to cross in front of you. And not just traditional 1" tweeters, but I would do something that can cover as much of the audible range as possible, to make the transition to the woofer less conspicuous. My recommendation would be this tweeter:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-2-fullrange/aurasound-nsw2-326-8at-2-full-range/

and a quality midwoofer, preferably placed as close to the tweeter as possible.

Because the excellent tweeter can handle everything from around 700hz on up, it takes away a bit of the convolution of a classic "components" set that is destined to have big issues.

coaxials in the soundbar,
What exactly do you mean by a sound bar? The center channel? or the surrounds?

add an amp and subwoofer with an enclosure.
The key to a subwoofer in a car, is equalizing it to not dominate. So again, i think having some sort of active crossover / EQ unit, will have very positive results.

This unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sZMhyScXRRZ/p_500RUXC701/Alpine-RUX-C701.html

Is worthy of some strong, strong consideration.

My number one recommendation is, when on a budget, don't even both with rear speakers as that's something that can be cheaply replaced as it's literally only for fill when SQ is not a priority. When SQ is a prioirity, I would always fade the entire sound to the front. A quality left/right, plus sub, is IMO really good as is. A center can be worthwhile too, I have found, because of where it centers the sound.

As for "car-audio-set" brands, I do like pioneer's speakers. I wouldn't bother with Polks.

Last edited:
B

bmf795

Audioholic Intern
What exactly do you mean by a sound bar? The center channel? or the surround?
Sorry I wasn't as specific as I could have been. The Jeep JK is the 4dr Wrangler and the sound bar is in the roll bar right behind the front row above the listener's head.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry I wasn't as specific as I could have been. The Jeep JK is the 4dr Wrangler and the sound bar is in the roll bar right behind the front row above the listener's head.
What kind of music do you listen to and how loud? If you have a removable top and drive around that way, you have two choices- build a system that sounds good at lower volumes or piss off everyone around. If you choose the first, it should be easy but you can't stop bass from going outside of the vehicle, even if you use some kind of butt-kicker (which I never found to be a realistic experience). You DO NOT have to hit sub-20Hx frequencies for music unless it was originally recorded from a synth and besides- you'll be too close to the woofers to really get the best feeling from those notes.

Don't separate the mid-bass drivers and tweeters too much- the phase cancellations will really screw up the imaging and yes, you can have good imaging in a Jeep, as long as you use the correct crossover type and maintain minimum separation requirements.

B

bmf795

Audioholic Intern
I listen to pretty much everything but cRap but mostly country, 70's and new stuff with my 10yr old.

I got a couple of quotes this past week. One was an all alpine set up for around $800 and the other one was JL but it was laughable as the sales guy just threw something out. I'm not going to be installing it myself as I have never messed with an amp in a car. Right now I'm just trying to see what other's are using in their Jeep's.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I listen to pretty much everything but cRap but mostly country, 70's and new stuff with my 10yr old.

I got a couple of quotes this past week. One was an all alpine set up for around $800 and the other one was JL but it was laughable as the sales guy just threw something out. I'm not going to be installing it myself as I have never messed with an amp in a car. Right now I'm just trying to see what other's are using in their Jeep's.
If he "just threw it out", did you ask him why he recommended these models? A head unit needs to do only a few things- send signal to an amp but if you want iPod input and control, that would rule out most models. If the sales guy didn't ask any/many questions, go somewhere else and if they don't ask questions, keep looking.

For us to make recommendations, you'll need to list your requirements. If you want iPod support by the head unit, mention that. You wrote that you have speakers in a sound bar- what size? Looks like 6-1/2" but the depth will rule out a lot of models. If you're able to remove one or have information on their size, let us know. If you remove one, you'll be able to see how much space is available for the tweeter and crossover. Since the speakers are right behind your head, I wouldn't bother with active crossover and the installation will be more simple because no additional speaker wires will be needed, other than to connect behind the existing radio. The amp can go under one of the seats- I would look at a 4 channel- two for the front speakers and the other two can be used for the sub (bridged). The soundbar speakers won't need more than you already have because they're so close to you. If you remove the top often, I would try it without adding more power and if needed, add an amp. A 6 channel amp will be a lot more expensive and probably won't fit in an inconspicuous place. A smaller second amp can go under the other seat.

The one thing that will make or break the installation is how the power and ground for the amp are handled. If the cable size is too small, the amp can fail because of the extra heat caused by voltage drop (the gauge needed is based on current draw from the amp/output power). The amp needs to be grounded correctly because you'll hear alternator whine if they do it wrong. Also, a bad ground will cause teh same problems as small power cable. Worst case, if the amp's ground lifts from the body, it could take out the head unit or other electronics.

You'll need to listen to some speakers-you may get a lot of recommendations but you have to like the way they sound. The amp should be able to supply more power than you need, but if the input levels are set properly, you'll never have distortion coming from the amp- only the head unit because it was turned up too high.
As far as the subwoofer, assuming that you don't want it to sound like a rap system, a 10" should be fine, as long as the box is correct. Many woofers that in order to work in a small box are available- I would recommend one that works in a sealed box- if the box is small and ported, the port can require far more volume than the woofer to hit the low notes and if the port is wrong, the woofer's power handling can suffer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis