Capital AudiFest 2013 – July 26, 27, and 28

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yesterday afternoon and evening we (Dennis Murphy, Travis, and myself) helped haul 4 pairs of speakers plus many boxes of electronic gear into the hotel and up to the 6th floor. With all the others moving their crates, cartons, and dolly-loads of gear into the same hotel, it looked like a convention of guys who knocked off all the Best Buy stores on the east coast :D.

Jim Salk had already moved into his display room, and was in downtown DC for an afternoon of sight seeing. We are having unusually nice weather for late July :). At this time of summer, DC-Md-Va normally feels like the inside of a dog's mouth, but this weekend we have blue skies, low humidity, and temperatures in the low 80s.

I met Frank Van Alstine who also came to town for the show. His amps, preamps, DACs, etc. will be driving both Dennis Murphy's and Jim Salk's speakers in the show. I know very little about the nuts and bolts of electronics, but I found Frank fascinating.

I will remember to look in on rooms 704 and 806.

I will also remember to charge up the batteries on my camera.

I expect I will attend the show on Sunday. Saturday is an outside possibility. Meeting people at these shows can be difficult, but I'd like to meet anyone from AH who comes. PM me for my phone number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
For anyone who may be driving to CAF this weekend, parking is scarce in Silver Spring. Yesterday when I was there, I noticed a public parking lot behind the hotel - with parking meters. A sign said free on Saturday & Sunday. I hope there's space there when I go.

Another possible alternative for some is the Metro, but I'm not sure just how far a walk it is to the Sheraton Hotel.

Any AHers can meet up with me or Steve81 at Philharmonic Audio (room 615), or Salk Sound (room 617) on the hour, each hour, starting at noon Sunday.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Re: Capital AudiFest 2013 – July 26, 27, and 28

Doug was just being courteous and giving fair warning...

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

2.5 hours worth... I need a gadoraide.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

I can't afford the real stuff...I buy generic.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
so, fellas... How were the Audis? Anyone take an R8 V10 Plus for a spin?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well I'm guessing neither Doug nor Swerd will care to listen to Sloop John B for a while. Needless to say, we got to hear a fairly wide variety of speakers ranging from "meh" to "hey, that's pretty good" to "you want how much for this???". There was no shortage of snake oil either including various high end cables and a strange room treatment system that was reminiscent of some of the stuff I've seen at Machina Dynamica.

My personal favorite spots were Soundfield Audio (A.J.), Philharmonic/Salk, SVS, and to some extent ProAc (I thought well of the little Tablet Anniversary speakers at least, though Doug & Swerd were put off by a hot top end).

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

It was a good day. Left home around 8am and got back about midnight. I got to meet Steve, Swerd, AJ and Dennis. Listen to a bunch of different speakers (and cables :D). Including first time listens to Philharmonic 3's, Slims & monitors, Salk Verasity HT's, AJ's Soundfield Audio towers (what's the name of these Steve?) & SVS's Ultra Tower. I didn't hear Dire Straits once...but did hear Black Sabbath. :thumbup: BTW...Sloop John B is stuck in my head... thanks Steve. To do this show right you need two days...maybe next year.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
AJ's Soundfield Audio towers (what's the name of these Steve?)
I believe he's referring to them as the VSFT-1s (variable sound field towers). I'll be getting a bit more info from AJ on these in the not too distant future.

Sloop John B is stuck in my head... thanks Steve.
You're welcome :D It is a catchy tune at least, and it only drove people out of the room a couple of times...

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My favorite line of the day was the one sales guy saying, it's like taking a bath in chocolate and being covered with cognac. I almost lost it!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My favorite line of the day was the one sales guy saying, it's like taking a bath in chocolate and being covered with cognac. I almost lost it!
That was the guy who confused us for Janet Jackson fans. I think he has a future in auto sales. The speakers in that room, ProAc Tablets, are worth mention. The 5¾" midwoofers (plastic coated Kevlar) were very good, but I thought the tweeters were too hot. That could easily (and should) be fixed. They showed how good small cabinet speakers can image.

Yesterday, I met up with Steve81 and STRONGBADF1 at the CAF. These audio shows can be kind of dry, and I had a lot more fun with you two along. Thanks!

Last night, we got all of Dennis's stuff unpacked in his house some time after 8 pm, and I was home by 9. By then, I was too tired to remember The Sloop John B. I didn't think at all about it until I read this today. Thanks :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
There was no shortage of snake oil either including various high end cables and a strange room treatment system that was reminiscent of some of the stuff I've seen at Machina Dynamica.
Here's the one:
http://www.steinmusic.de/media/pdf/Harmonizer_System.pdf
How the H2 actually works is proprietary, and Stein insists on keeping its inner workings secret. Stein says, „The H2 stimulates the oxygen‘s molecules in a way that improves its viscosity thus allowing it act much more effectively.“ The info that arrived with the H2 reads, in part, „The basic principle is similar to a catalyser. Technically it works with capacitively activated crystals. The air molecules inside of the listening room are jogged through the loudspeaker and thus transmit the sound information. In order to elongate the air molecules from their rest position it is necessary to spend energy fiirst. It is much easier to move them if once moving.This phenomenon is similar to static and dynamic friction. To force a heavy piece of rock to move is not an easy task. But if it is once moving it can be much easier shifted further. The Steinmusic Harmonizer is working very similar, but rather at a level of ethereal states....“
Sounds on the up and up to me upon reading about the science behind it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Apologizing in advance for the derail.
Sounds as if someone was looking in the windows the last time you stayed at Adam's house.:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Had a great time with Steve and Swerd. Needed more time to see it all. We should organize an AH GTG at the event next year.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I believe he's referring to them as the VSFT-1s (variable sound field towers). I'll be getting a bit more info from AJ on these in the not too distant future.
Just got notified that he updated his site for those that are curious about the specs/info:
Products

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis