Capers TRIO12/APR15/BASH500 build

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Hi guys. Earlier in the year I built a TRIO12 dual APR12 SPA500 sub, in an extra large 24" cube. Unfortunately, my large room (about 24' X 14', with an opening to a hallway and back half of the room about 18' wide) requires more subbage. Since the kit with a single 15" passive radiator (PR) seems to produce similar results to the dual 12 PRs, and is quite a bit cheaper, I went with the TRIO12, APR15, BASH500 combo for $379 + tax & shipping. It really is a steal since the plate amp alone is $270. I will be making it as per the cut sheet specs: 20" box since the last one takes up quite a bit of real estate. In the future, a horn sub may be constructed if I get bored and need a new project.

I haven't made any cuts yet, but bought a new Mastercraft Maximum Router on sale, as well as a Jasper 270 circle jig. I made sure the jig made circles 18"+ in case of future upgrade builds . I don't have a lot of experience with routers, so last night was getting familiar with it, and making sure the jig fit the base, which thankfully, it did. Router bits also went on sale shortly after purchasing the router, so I got a set of 12 or so carbide tipped mastercraft bits for around $25 (regularly $90-ish).

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Safety Gear:

Circle Jig pin. Drill a hole in workpiece, all the way through into a sacrificial piece. Then place jig on pin with the correct circle size hole selected on jig:

Correct size selected here:

Easy circles!

Internal brace. The least fun part...

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
All panels glued & screwed:

Close up of the inside:

Dry fit the driver & PR:

First coat of Duratex:

Last coat of finish on the bottom:

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
The final product (less legs). This is the front, but it is also sitting on its side, which looks the same here:

This is the bottom (TRIO12). Downfiring sub. Needs legs.

The back. BASH500 plate amp.

TRIO12/APR15 sitting beside TRIO12/APR12(2)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Man that 15" PR looks nice! Where did you pick up the kit from? Link?

Time to upgrade the Energy Take speakers :D.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Caper, I really like that finish! Your subs look great!:)

Agarwalro, the kits come from here:

Creative Sound Solutions - Loudspeakers, Parts and DIY Speaker Kits

You won't be able to buy one now though - the Trio 12 driver has been discontinued. The replacement will arrive soon though - the SDX 12. I'm looking forward to it, because if the price is right, I think my next pair of subs will be built with them.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Man that 15" PR looks nice!

Time to upgrade the Energy Take speakers :D.
Thanks!! You can change the weight from the outside. That 'thing' sticking out where the dust cap usually is on a speaker, houses metal washers (discs). Pretty neat idea. And yes, I already have a pair of RC-70s and an RC-LCR. Just have to wait for kids to get a little bigger before I introduce them down there. For now, the 70's play music upstairs :)

Caper, I really like that finish! Your subs look great!:)
Thanks pal. It was nice not having to buy another pail of that finish. And I still have lots left too! Next up, SDX10 with 2 10" PRs !! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis