S

shemtaiah

Audiophyte
I just bought a used Canton 750AS sub ($75). I did not hear it play before I bought it. Hooked up to my system (onkyo tx nr818) it turns on, but when a signal (sound) is sent from my receiver to the sub the sound is not very loud and it is accompanied by a louder "buzzing" sound that syncs with the music. The cone seems to move freely. The volume control on the sub appears to do nothing. Checked the cable on another sub -- no problems. I followed the hookup instructions in a Canton sub manual.
Any suggestions?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

My suggestion is to never buy any used audio gear without first hearing it work. Sorry to hear about the troubles. :(

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

shemtaiah

Audiophyte
You're absolutely right Wayne. Fortunately this was an ebay purchase so I have some protection. Actually I have had very bad luck with ebay audio equipment lately.

BTW I pulled the plate amp and checked the continuity on the speaker -> 3.5 ohms. Given that the cone moves pretty freely I suspect that part if OK. Internal connections to the speaker seem to be OK (soldered).

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Well, that’s good news at least. Ebay’s been great when I’ve had problems with purchases.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis