Canton speakers...Thoughts???

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/CANTLE190BLK

What kind of sound siganture does this series have. Laid back/neutral/bright. Can anyone discribe how they sound or maybe compair them to other speakers like... "they sound very simmilar to paradigm monitor 9's or Energy c70" ???

also I'll be driving them with my Yamaha rx-v2500...and if thats not enough I get an amp for the front 2-3 channels.

SBF1

majorloser

majorloser

Those are an excellent buy at that price!

As far as sound, those are Canton's lower end of towers.

http://www.canton.de/en-produktdetail-leserie-le170.htm

They do not have the metal drivers like their bigger brothers, the Ergo, Karat and Vento lines. The cabinet work is not quite as nice but still good quality. It would also seem that they are being phased out for the newer GLE line that uses some of the drivers from those lines.

Cantons are known for their tight clean highs and overall accurate sound. The LE line will only be marginally behind some of the other lines due to the lack of the alluminum-manganese tweeter that Canton is known for.

But still, $600 for a pair of quality 3-way speakers.........not bad.
(Granted, I'd go for the cherry cabinets instead of black)

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I own the LE's and gave the GLE series a listen. The LE's to me, and most people who listen to them, are very somooth and neutral. The GLE to me, and my friend who was with me, had kind of an odd metalic sound. It wasnt bright per se' but it had almost a tinny sound. The salesman told us that they changed to aluminum drivers. He also said he didnt know if the tweeter was silk, or if the LE's were silk (both are) AND then he said, "Well they havent broken in yet, so they may sound a lil off" I laughed and moved on. So basicly with the GLE series out now, you can get a better deal on the LE, which in my eyes is the better speaker anyway. I hope this helps.

Sean

A

ARRAY

Audioholic Intern
Never heard a pair before, and don't hear about them much thses days. They always kind of reminded me of an ADS or Braun loudspeaker.

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
A local audio shop got them in about a month ago, and since I have looking for a small footprint tower to replace my bookshelves, I gave them a listen. I alternated between the Canton le 190 and the new Paradigm monitor 7 in a very short comparison. Apparently, the news about them being discontinued hasn't reached this neck of the woods, since they are being sold for full retail of $1200. Frankly, I found them to be extremely laid back, nothing stood out about them. The monitor 7s, were much more aggressive sounding, had a smaller footprint, but I thought they were too forward. It a guy could combine the two, you'd call that a pretty good speaker. Maybe, the GLE versions will be better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis