Canton Ergo RC-K 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker question

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I've been searching for an Epos center channel speaker for a while now without much luck or at the price I want to pay. :D

So any-hoo, today I make a ridiculously low offer, or so I thought, on a single 2000 Canton Ergo RC-K 2-way, bi-wired, bookshelf speaker to use as a center and surprise, surprise I won. Going in I knew that it had a blown tweeter and did some preliminary research, which the seller stated was a Canton 5990 tweeter. I couldn't find that tweeter but 2 audiophile sites seem to confirm that I could use a Vifa D26TG-35-06 soft-dome tweeter. Parts Express has them in stock for $28 bucks.

Vifa D27TG-35-06 1" Silk Dome Tweeter 264-1022

Am I deluding myself thinking this will turn out o.k. or am I just pissing in the wind? Any pitfalls I should be aware of since this is my first tweeter replacement EVER? :confused:

Thanks.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Be aware that the Vifa D26 and the Vifa D27 are two different tweeters. They may, or may not be similar to each other.

I can't answer your question about replacing the Canton tweeter.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the heads up Swerd but it seems the D26 "is no longer available", per the Parts Express site. I'll have to take this up with Parts Express/the intergoogle when I get back from vacation next week. All I'm interested in for the next 9 days are fish in the Lake of the Ozarks, in Missouri. :rolleyes:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I've reached out to Canton in Frankfurt, Germany and hopefully I'll get an answer soon. Here's a pic of the speaker.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Well no response from Canton ... so much for customer service and the likelihood I'd ever purchase one of their products in the future ... so I'll be contacting Parts Express this upcoming Tuesday when I get back home. Meanwhile I thought you guys would get a laugh out of this.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
You guys don't like police/donut jokes, huh? Even in real life? :D

Oh well, onto the matter at hand.

Parts Express was very helpful but couldn't confirm whether the Vifa D27TG35-06 is an exact match. Spec wise, there are no issues but the diameter opening is slightly bigger than the original by 2/16 of an inch. I will need to bore it out to make it fit. It also is a soft dome silk tweeter instead of the original aluminum-manganese, which I prefer.

Since Canton never responded to my inquiry I tried their US service company, American Audio & Video in Southaven, Mississippi and Tom McGhee, their technical support rep, is going to contact Canton in Germany on my behalf to see what they could do. So we'll see.

BTW the speaker has quite a few gouges, not large or deep but noticeable. Has anybody here repainted their black oak veneer speakers? I tried the old Sharpie trick but it looks like shite.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis