Cannot seem to find an affordable upgrade from current speakers

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, it's Seth again to discuss speakers (like we haven't done this before). I've been hanging on to my Infinity Interlude 10 bookshelf speakers with some sort of kung fu death grip for more than a decade; I just can't seem to find a worth successor. I feel like I've tried a lot of things and always end up underwhelmed or inconvenienced in some way.

I live in a single bedroom apartment. My living room, dining area, and kitchen are a conjoined misshapenly room. It's probably the a horrible nightmare on acoustics that only Freddy himself could have inserted into an otherwise pleasant dream (and I am pretty sure that did not make sense).

I found the most effective area to use my speakers and subwoofer are in the dining area, which is sort of in its own little cubby hole. I get good bass response there, and good imaging from the speakers.

Now to get to the meat of it. The Infinity speakers are great, but I would like better. I find the Infinitys to be smooth, not agitating, open, and fun. I have some M&K S-80 monitors as well, they're less fun, more clinical, lack the bass the larger Infinitys have, but they are bright (not harsh). They too image well, but they just do not excite me.

The Infinitys have their shortcomings. The lower midrange or upper midbass is over pronounced typically of bookshelf speakers. This hump is helped by plugging the ports, but it is not entirely eliminated. This causes pianos and vocals to be noticeably colored. Depends what I'm listening to whether I notice this occur or not.

I've tried B&W 602 S3s, did not prefer them. Bass was just a little too "big", seemed exaggerated. A little brighter than the Infinitys as well, and I'm not looking for brighter. I prefer to keep the same balance of highs I've come to enjoy from the Interlude 10s.

Also tried Paradigm Studio 20 v1, again, brighter than I'd like. I enjoy their soundstage, but they're just more aggressive overall.

I do not have space for proper arrangement of floor speakers, I'm considering that almost a non option. I've tried several and almost always had trouble with placement.

So is there any bookshelf speaker out there that doesn't have a forced bass hump by the crossover and shares the smoothness I've come to enjoy from the Infinitys? Am I crazy for thinking the Infinitys sound smooth? I've heard other people just blanket claim all infinity speakers are bright and harsh, this is not what I hear from mine.

Am I correct to assume that tweeter dome material plays little factor on how smooth, warm, harsh, dark, etc ... a tweeter will sound, and this is more contingent of the utilization of a crossover?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
First heya Seth, long time haven't seen you around here.
Now about speakers. I can't tell you which ones youd love, but here are few my goto recommendations :
Anything by Ascend, including Wave Crest hvl1, Nht classic series and of course Philarmonic monitors
All of above offer in home trials

Matt34

Matt34

I just received my pair of Wavecrest HVL1 today. Going to be listening to them next to my trusty Behringer 1030p the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Those Behringers were all the rage. I had my sister buy 4. I liked 'em.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I just received my pair of Wavecrest HVL1 today. Going to be listening to them next to my trusty Behringer 1030p the next couple of days.
Hmm, let me know how they compare. I had a set of behringer monitors for a while (the 8" ones).

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hey Seth. Long time. Nice to see you back.

Not sure where you are or what dealers are around you but check out the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. They are well reviewed, great price and look very good. I have never found any of the Wharfedale speakers to be harsh and they always seem to have very good mid range and tight bass.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely need to try some speakers with a generous 30-day in-home trial.

You might look at NHT speakers like the Absolute Zero or even Super-Zero. They are sealed cabinets and don't have exaggerated bass hump. They are all midrange and treble. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I saw the FR furnished by NHT to Audioholics on the SuperOne 2.1. It is about 200Hz-10kHz +/-2.5dB. Pretty good.

But Home Theater Magazine measured the Absolute Zero and it was 100Hz-10kHz +/- 0.9dB, which is superb. So I would try the Absolute Zero. :)
It seems that NHT puts more effort [work], in their Classic series from the Absolute on up.

However, the Super series line does better [measurement wise], than a lot of more expensive
speakers out there.

I would keep NHT on a short list.

Matt34

Matt34

Those Behringers were all the rage. I had my sister buy 4. I liked 'em.
I've had these speakers longer than any other in the past 10 years.

Hmm, let me know how they compare. I had a set of behringer monitors for a while (the 8" ones).
I'm going to do some listening this weekend, don't hold your breathe on anything useful coming out of it.o_O

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I saw those, they look interesting.

Where does sonus faber fall into the mix?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I saw those, they look interesting.

Where does sonus faber fall into the mix?
I should add that I am a big time used shopper. I almost exclusively have purchased all audio goods second hand.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I had a pair of NHT 1.5s a long time ago, they were quite forward. I considered them quite bright. Some of the most inert cabinet work I've ever encountered thought. They were rock hard.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I really wanted to like the NHT speakers I have heard but like Klipsh they seem to grate on me. They are very well made an maybe in a well treated room they can be good but they are not for me.

I've only heard one pair of Sonus Faber and it was at a dealer. They were one of their smaller tower speakers. Very nice fit and finish and sounded nice but I did not spend that much time with them. I was playing with their Dali models. If you can find a pair of Dali Helicon 300's grab them. To me they are the best speakers I have ever owned.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I really wanted to like the NHT speakers I have heard but like Klipsh they seem to grate on me. They are very well made an maybe in a well treated room they can be good but they are not for me.

I've only heard one pair of Sonus Faber and it was at a dealer. They were one of their smaller tower speakers. Very nice fit and finish and sounded nice but I did not spend that much time with them. I was playing with their Dali models. If you can find a pair of Dali Helicon 300's grab them. To me they are the best speakers I have ever owned.
I know I shouldn't be surprised about how everyone has a different opinion, but it is still interesting. :)

On paper, the NHT (especially the Absolute Zero being +/- 0.9dB listening window) appear to be great. Yet, some people think NHT speakers sound great while some people don't even like NHT.

We can say the same with every single brand of speakers.

So does it say anything regarding the importance of FR measurements? :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a pair of NHT 1.5s a long time ago, they were quite forward. I considered them quite bright. Some of the most inert cabinet work I've ever encountered thought. They were rock hard.
hmmm, this is not what you said back in '06
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/nht-1-5-bookself-speaker-system-short-review.26327/

It would near impossible to recommend used speakers without knowing the options available to you.
As for Sonus Faber - I have heard few in the various dealerships - I think they sounded nice, but cost arm and leg. If you could find one at 1/10 of price it maybe worth it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis