Can you play 4 speakers off a 2.1 receiver?

G

gazcat

Audioholic Intern
Probably a stupid question but...

Just bought a pair of Infinity Beta 50s with a Harman Kardon 3485 receiver. I am not thinking of buying another pair of Beta 50s for a total of 4 speakers.

Can it be done or will I now need a 5.1 receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Just bought a pair of Infinity Beta 50s with a Harman Kardon 3485 receiver. I am not thinking of buying another pair of Beta 50s for a total of 4 speakers.

What are you planning to do with other speakers? If it is to use them for surrounds no. You can only safely run one set of speakers at a time with that receiver anyway.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

You don't want to be running two sets of full range speakers with full range material (both sets stereo). If the receiver has preouts you could add an amplifier. Do you plan to use both sets of speakers in the same room? I would advise against doing this.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
You don't want to be running two sets of full range speakers with full range material (both sets stereo). If the receiver has preouts you could add an amplifier. Do you plan to use both sets of speakers in the same room? I would advise against doing this.

Seth=L, why would you advise againt using two sets of stereo speaker if he is using an external amp for two of them? I am just curious.

Let us know.

G

gazcat

Audioholic Intern
Ok, well I have a 2.1 Harmon Kardon 3485 and two Infinity Beta 50 floor standing speakers.

Can anyone explain to me how I would go about running two more floor standing speakers?

The room they are going in is weird, it has a living room and a bar room seperated by a half wall. Im just looking to put two in each room.

Thank in advance!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth=L, why would you advise againt using two sets of stereo speaker if he is using an external amp for two of them? I am just curious.

Let us know.
I mentioned that he could get an amplifier, he currently hasn't stated he has one. The only way he could or should run two sets at once is if one set was connected to a separate amplifier. That amplifier would need to have gain adjustments to match the receiver's output or he would have to use two additional equal amplifiers.

I don't recommend using two sets of speakers in the same room running in stereo because they would interfere with each other, more than likely in a negative way. There would likely be bass boominess and cancelations. A set up such as that would need to be set up perfectly to work correctly if even possible. I would never run two sets at once in the same room, even if they where the same speakers.

The impedance matching selector box is an option. However, if this is for the same room (as I mentioned before, not recommended), you won't get any "louder" sound because you have two sets of speakers connected to the same receiver, even with the impedance leveling device. If they are for two separate rooms, this will work fine and would have some kind of advantage.

G

gazcat

Audioholic Intern
If one was so inclined, he could do this with an impedance matching speaker selector box.
Or- there are less expensive ones at Parts Express or Rat Shack.
Would this take away power from any of the speakers? Im not too sure how to use this any other information would help. Thanks again!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Would this take away power from any of the speakers? Im not too sure how to use this any other information would help. Thanks again!
Your receiver only has so much power to give, adding speakers will not make it louder. Do you plan to use them in the same room or in different rooms?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It seems as though the speakers are in an open type floor plan. I do agree with Seth on this but I understand where you are coming from too. If the "second" room is really for background music, I would just pop some in-ceilings in there and call it a day.

G

gazcat

Audioholic Intern
Your receiver only has so much power to give, adding speakers will not make it louder. Do you plan to use them in the same room or in different rooms?
Its basically two rooms connected without a door, but most of the sound would be needed in the main room (living room) and the small bar room needs sound two. This is where the extra speakers come in. I think a simple pair of book speakers would do I just want some sound in that room.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ok, you will be fine with the impedance selector then I think. The power will be halved for each set when both are running, but honestly you won't likely be using much more than 20 watts per channel even at higher levels of output.

G

gazcat

Audioholic Intern
Ok, you will be fine with the impedance selector then I think. The power will be halved for each set when both are running, but honestly you won't likely be using much more than 20 watts per channel even at higher levels of output.
How many watts do you think I am giving my speakers without adding more right now? If I could add 2 more and not really affect the quality that would be awesome. Thanks for the responses everyone, just a little confused on what to do now.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
How many watts do you think I am giving my speakers without adding more right now? If I could add 2 more and not really affect the quality that would be awesome. Thanks for the responses everyone, just a little confused on what to do now.
Say you are listening at moderate levels, you might be using 2-5 watts per channel. If you are listening at loud levels, but not uncomfortable, about 20-50 watts per channel (50 not so likely, maybe some peak activity but not lots). Don't fret much about wattage. The impedance matching selector is important because it keeps the impedance from halving and taxing the receiver. With this problem alleviated you shouldn't have any level problems. I listen to my rather moderately efficient Infinity Interlude 10s at crushing levels with my Insignia/Sherwood receiver and I have no problems. The receiver doesn't get very hot, indicating it's not struggling with the program material.

G

gazcat

Audioholic Intern
Say you are listening at moderate levels, you might be using 2-5 watts per channel. If you are listening at loud levels, but not uncomfortable, about 20-50 watts per channel (50 not so likely, maybe some peak activity but not lots). Don't fret much about wattage. The impedance matching selector is important because it keeps the impedance from halving and taxing the receiver. With this problem alleviated you shouldn't have any level problems. I listen to my rather moderately efficient Infinity Interlude 10s at crushing levels with my Insignia/Sherwood receiver and I have no problems. The receiver doesn't get very hot, indicating it's not struggling with the program material.
So would you say adding another 2 floor standing speakers wouldn't take away two much power? Keep in mind these are Infinity Beta 50, and my receiver is said to put out 120 watts per channel.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
So would you say adding another 2 floor standing speakers wouldn't take away two much power? Keep in mind these are Infinity Beta 50, and my receiver is said to put out 120 watts per channel.
As I said before, it will halve the power sent to each set. The level of decibels a speaker can reach is designated by it's design and input wattage. The Betas are rated around 90 dB 1watt/1meter. This means that with one watt the Betas would be achieving 90 decibels. In order to go up 3 decibels the output must double, so to get 93 decibels you would need 2 watts, 4 watts would be 96 decibels, 8 watts would be 99 decibels, 16 watts 102 decibels, 32 watts 105 decibels, 64 (about half of your receiver's rated power) watts 108 decibels. Trust me, anything above 100 decibels is enough to hurt your hearing, don't worry about the power.;):D

G

gazcat

Audioholic Intern
As I said before, it will halve the power sent to each set. The level of decibels a speaker can reach is designated by it's design and input wattage. The Betas are rated around 90 dB 1watt/1meter. This means that with one watt the Betas would be achieving 90 decibels. In order to go up 3 decibels the output must double, so to get 93 decibels you would need 2 watts, 4 watts would be 96 decibels, 8 watts would be 99 decibels, 16 watts 102 decibels, 32 watts 105 decibels, 64 (about half of your receiver's rated power) watts 108 decibels. Trust me, anything above 100 decibels is enough to hurt your hearing, don't worry about the power.;):D
Ok i'm sold LOL ... what would you recommend for me to play 4 speakers? Someone else in this thread recommended something I believe.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
An impedance matching speaker selector. This allows for one set to be shut off with other other running or both sets running at once. The impedance matching feature keeps the impedance from halving when both sets are running simultaneously (which would create havoc for the receiver if the impedance dropped to one half the typical impedance of the speakers). The impedance matching speaker selector is absolutely necessary if you plan to run both sets of speakers at once. If only one set of speakers is run at a time the impedance feature would not be need, and also the set that is running would get the full power of the receiver. I hope that answers your question. If you have anymore feel free to ask.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I figured me going to the trouble of finding a switch and posting the link for you would be enough for you to remember:eek:
Ok i'm sold LOL ... what would you recommend for me to play 4 speakers? Someone else in this thread recommended something I believe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis