Can you hear a difference in Sound between Audio Amplifiers?

Do Amplifiers Sound Different?

• Yes

Votes: 103 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 30.4%
  • crikets crickets....What?

Votes: 16 9.4%

• Total voters
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Totally agree.
I think when you get to the lower end there can be difference that may not be evident when examining the specs and standard distortion measurements.

For example, in listening session at my brother-in-laws, we listened to Outlaw M2200 mono-blocks (200 WPC) and my Parasound A51 (250 WPC) there was a clear different at mid 90 BD levels. A BDP-105 directly connected to the amps driving his Revel F206's. At lower levels (about 55) the M2200 was fine, but at 75, the M2202 became harsh. The M2200 is A/B for about 70 watts and then goes into G mode.

I doubt we would hear a difference between an amp like an ATI3000 and the A51 driving the Revel F206's.

There were really good deals on the A21 so he bought one.

- Rich
As an engineer, I can't help but ask..were the tests done under controlled conditions; unsighted with levels matched?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
As an engineer, I can't help but ask..were the tests done under controlled conditions; unsighted with levels matched?
Sighted, there were just to two of us.
The purpose was to determine if a Parasound amp would outperform the M2200 driving the F206's.
We measured volume levels using an Omni-Mic and the gains were similar.

Then, played intros of a of a dozen songs at the BDP-105 volume at 55 and at 75 taking notes.
Since he had the M2200 in his system already we began with it.
There were quite of few songs that we both felt were not enjoyable at 75.

The same songs at the same levels repeated with my A51 at 55, the difference was not obvious, but at 75 it was unmistakable.
If he was a guy that listens to 55, it may not be worth it, but since he 80+ he bought an A21 (for under $2k) :D
IMO, the A21 was worth the extra $1k (street price).

This is not a scientific test, it is an in home listening session that served its purpose.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

You just couldn't help it, could you? :eek: :D
5 Ways not to size an amplifier:

- Try to make your ears bleed
- Attempt to dim the lights
- Turn it up until your tweeters catch fire
- Melt your midrange (OK, I actually did that but it was defective I tell you :D)
- Adjust the volume until your significant other runs screaming from the room (this is debatable).

:p :D

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

- Melt your midrange (OK, I actually did that but it was defective I tell you :D)
- Adjust the volume until your significant other runs screaming from the room (this is debatable).

That is definitely bad. :D

Can you size an amp by where it is made? :eek:

These days I have been given a direct order from the commander to boycott anything made in China or from China. :)

RichB

RichB

That is definitely bad. :D

Can you size an amp by where it is made? :eek:

These days I have been given a direct order from the commander to boycott anything made in China or from China. :)
If you mean internal parts as well, you'll have to sell your amp, processor, parts of your speakers, get rid of that that HTPC, and dissect your phone ;)

- Rich

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
If you mean internal parts as well, you'll have to sell your amp, processor, parts of your speakers, get rid of that that HTPC, and dissect your phone ;)

- Rich
So true as almost everything we purchase has parts made from China.:( I wonder if my Cornwalls (1979) and Heresy II (1989) and my Hafler amps etc (1990's) all are made in USA without parts from China?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

- Rich
No, smaller parts don't count. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

- Rich
For some reason, my SO is very sensitive to bass.. Just two minutes into Godzilla when they exploded the atomic bomb on that island, she screams..turn that down or I'm leaving... I didn't have my lucky quarter with me so I turned it down. :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nope.... Its the Iron ring that I wear on my pinky finger that makes me do it. :)
What Iron ring? :eek:

Is that a school jewelry ring? :D

Answer that question very carefully. :D

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Then you should know full well that some posters can accomplish the feat of giving you -19,000 rep points fairly quickly, particularly if they've got a friend or two helping them.

A cabal! I like that idea even better.

It's possible. However, if I were to "go postal" on you, it'd involve a ban, not rep points.

Threat noted.

Given your current demeanor, it's not much of a stretch for me to imagine that you've rubbed others the wrong way.

Could it be you've got sensitive skin?

Btw, since yesterday my rep went up to -18,444 . I must be doing something right. :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Threat noted.
Not a threat, a simple statement of fact. Why would a moderator waste time "going postal" with rep points when he has other tools at his disposal?

Perhaps. I won't claim to be appreciative of comments like:
Gee, thanks, but I know how rep points work.
when your prior posts like this:
There's no transparent tally of total reds/green points that I can find, so one has to wonder who and how many in the 'forum community' are responsible for my relatively recent descent to 'forum troll idiot*' status. Right now, what I can see, it's 3:2 green:red for me. Are some members of the community more equal than others when it comes to voting, like in Animal Farm?
indicate that you probably don't.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A cabal! I like that idea even better.
Threat noted.
Btw, since yesterday my rep went up to -18,444 . I must be doing something right. :)
I say just take a deep breath and pretend we're all just a bunch of guys sitting around INFORMALLY talking about amps, processors, and speakers. :D

Which amps do you like?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What Iron ring? :eek:

Is that a school jewelry ring? :D

Answer that question very carefully. :D
Remember the bridge "Galloping Gertie"? All iron rings used to be made from this bridge to remind us engineers to be thorough and careful in our designs.

Last edited by a moderator:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai

- Rich
Now how did you know that's the kind of amps I like???

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Remember the bridge "Galloping Gertie"? All iron rings used to be made from this bridge to remind us engineers to be thorough and careful in our designs.
Wow. I never knew that. Scary. :eek:

Thank God building amps and speakers are nothing like building bridges or performing surgeries. :D

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
I say just take a deep breath and pretend we're all just a bunch of guys sitting around INFORMALLY talking about amps, processors, and speakers. :D

Which amps do you like?
I like the ones in AVRs with good 'room correction' DSP.*

So far I've tried a few Pioneer Elites (MCACC) but now I've switched to Denon (Audyssey MultiXT 32)

As far as the amp qua amp function -- amplifying a signal -- I'm pretty sure they should sound the same if you compare them fairly, even though the Audioholics article kinda sorta maybe says they mightn't.

*they have to have HDMI in/out and DPL II too. But they all do now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis