Can this set up be improved?

N

nioveratus

Audioholic Intern
After helping my friend with his new set up I decided to look myself into upgrading mine.....I currently have a 7.0 Canton system CX80 so my speakers are really small, my receiver is an Onkyo tx-sr606....I might buy a new receiver later on when I get my 3D tv...I want to go with a bigger 5.1 system since my listening area is big(4000 cubic)....These are the speakers that I am currently looking at:
Polk Monitor 70.....440 pair
Polk CS2..............109
Polk Monitor 30.....120 pair

For subwoofer I'm open to suggestions around $500 that need to have output since my room is big...

Can i do better than this for same price range?? IF i have to put a litle bit more( not a lot) for better speakers, I'm open to suggestion.

I'm planning on wall mounting the sorrounds so bear this in mind plz.

Also let me know if these speakers would be better than the ones I currently own.

I live in Miami so chances of auditioning are almost none.

Thanks.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
For the subwoofer check out the Rythmik FV15 and Epik Legend. I don't know that they'll be able to pressurize a 4000 cu. ft. room, though; you might have to up the budget to achieve that.

Canton and Polk make some nice speakers, but telling you which will sound better is virtually impossible for a couple main reasons.

1) We don't know your preferences
2) We cannot listen in your room using your gear

Preference/bias always plays a role, and the room acoustics can effect the sound you'll hear more than the speakers. The best way to determine which to purchase are to audition and study measurements, then bring the final candidates home for a shoot-out.

With that said, if you purchase the Polk's can they be returned within 30 days if they are not superior to the Cantons?

P.S. I bet if I google "Home Audio + Miami, FL" I find at least two good AV stores for you to audition at. In fact, I already did (Cartronics and Sound Components). :)

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
I own that same system except I have the 40s. I'd wait for Newegg to put them all on sale again, where you can get:

70s: $149 each shipped
CS2: $100 shipped
40s: $120 for a pair shipped

Or, order two of these:
Infinity P363BK

And then the matching center and some p153s for surrounds. That would be a marginally better system. I'd also look into a decent 2 channel amp ($200-$300) to power the fronts.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I would drop all of the Polk gear. In the budget realm, I'd strongly consider Infinity Primus over the Polk Monitor line. Likely the same price or less for improved performance. For a little more, Ascend Acoustics and a full set of CBM170SEs with a good sub would be a solid system around your price range. If going with a decent sub, and $500 should be able to get you that easily, you won't really need towers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd use the cantons for surrounds and not worry about upgrading that.

For fronts I recommend Infinity Primus 362 or the Energy CF-30s if you can find a great deal on either. Both are excellent budget speakers I've heard.

For a sub check out SVS. You might skip out on the center to get a better sub, but that depends on if you prefer bass or not.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I would drop all of the Polk gear. In the budget realm, I'd strongly consider Infinity Primus over the Polk Monitor line. Likely the same price or less for improved performance. For a little more, Ascend Acoustics and a full set of CBM170SEs with a good sub would be a solid system around your price range. If going with a decent sub, and $500 should be able to get you that easily, you won't really need towers.
+1. There are several audio dealers in Miami area, but I doubt they would carry Infinity. The good news there are plenty of Audioholics from Florida :D

btw: OP, What's your total budget?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd use the cantons for surrounds and not worry about upgrading that.
This is not a bad idea at all. It would let you dedicate a little bit more to the mains, especially since it is a large room. Then upgrade to matching surrounds down the road.

N

nioveratus

Audioholic Intern
I would like to spend no mre than $1300 with sub included (no receiver)...I know Canton is good but my speakers are so small (3 1/2" woofer) and for some reason I'm feeling that they are not able to fill my house and the canton subwoofer is lame(I have it next to the tv and it does not even shake it lol)...That is why I'm considering towers to be able to fill the room...any ideas...

Is the Infinity Primus Line a better choice? Getting two P363,pc350(or pc 351) and two P153
Thanks.

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Your sub may be in a bad location. Have you tried the sub crawl? Place the sub where you sit. Play some bass heavy music & crawl yes crawl to each spot that youd be willing to place the sub. Listen at each spot & then place the sub in the location that sounded the best. Then recalibrate the whole system. At least check all speaker levels with spl meter, set distances & all to small crossed probably around 120hz for those satellites.

Infinity Primus: best budget speaker system!!
Rythmik FV-12: great $500 sub!
HSU VTF3 MK4: excellent $550 sub, little more output!

N

nioveratus

Audioholic Intern
Unfortunately the subwoofer just lack the power to do the job....the room is over 4000 cubic and the sub has no power at all..even cnet said that this sub failed to perform in a regular room...also the canton speakers are to small to fill my room....

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately the subwoofer just lack the power to do the job....the room is over 4000 cubic and the sub has no power at all..even cnet said that this sub failed to perform in a regular room...also the canton speakers are to small to fill my room....
These speakers:

EMP Tek Clearance E55Ti Tower Speakers

will fill a huge room with sound.

Top them off with a pair, or two, of these surrounds:

Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair

For a subwoofer I would strongly consider DIYing a CSS Trio 12 ;P

N

nioveratus

Audioholic Intern
are the Polk TSI500 a better choice than the primus p363 or p362?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
are the Polk TSI500 a better choice than the primus p363 or p362?
I don't think so.

If you gave me a choice for free between a $1K Polk and the P362/363, I would take the P362/363.

But that's just me.

NHT is another great one. They also offer 30 day free shipping both ways. More expensive than the Primus, though.

But 2 NHT Absolute Zero + Rythmik FV12 would be sweet.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I too would pick the Primus over the Polk zero questions asked, but I think the EMPs are just a little bit better than the Primus. Tough to say without a side by side comparision, though. I don't own the Primus, and I do own the EMPs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've never auditioned EMP, but I have auditioned RBH (parent company of EMP).

The RBH T2/P were among the best l've heard.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
These speakers:

EMP Tek Clearance E55Ti Tower Speakers

will fill a huge room with sound.

Top them off with a pair, or two, of these surrounds:

Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair

For a subwoofer I would strongly consider DIYing a CSS Trio 12 ;P
Agreed. I just got my EMPs, and with my amp, they really shine. I have a hard time believing they would be outperformed by the P363, but those speakers get great reviews on this site.

You'd be hard pressed to beat this recommendation from GranteedEV. The center is what will make the difference for HT though, I went with the EMP E56 and it is awesome, as well as massive. Again, we may be stretching for budget a bit.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Even if the primus sounded like 2% better, i think the e55ti looks about 100% better :D

But Like I said, without a side by side comparision I just don't know which sounds better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis