Can someone tell me whats going wrong?

M

Masonvg

Audiophyte
So I have a Marantz sr5009 powering the Polk rtia9's and a csia6 as my center. I also have a Klipsch sub 12. Now every time I power on my receiver I hear static from the center and it gets louder and louder until it pops and both woofers flex out and then everything is fine. The sub does the exact same thing but without the static, it just flexes out and makes a loud noise. I know its not supposed to happen and I want to make sure it's not going to break it and hopefully fix the problem. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That doesn't sound good. Might have an issue with your avr. Have you tried resetting the avr? Does the sub do this without being connected to the avr?

M

Masonvg

Audiophyte
That doesn't sound good. Might have an issue with your avr. Have you tried resetting the avr? Does the sub do this without being connected to the avr?

I Haven't tried resetting it yet but that will probably b the next thing I do. The sub doesn't do it when its not connected and I have figured out that the center channel doesn't do it if I shut the avr off when the volume is at its lowest. So I originally thought it was stored power, if I turned the avr off when the volume was high it would do it. but that still doesn't explain the subwoofer doing it because there's no power passing to it and it doesn't make sense that the left and right speakers aren't doing it also. Thank you for responding:)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sounds like it might be a capacitor issue in your amplifier. I would not turn it on again, I would get it serviced right away. I think you are risking your speakers every time you turn it on.

M

Masonvg

Audiophyte
Sounds like it might be a capacitor issue in your amplifier. I would not turn it on again, I would get it serviced right away. I think you are risking your speakers every time you turn it on.

Nooooo :'( thank you for telling me

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You are absolutely right Shady. That unit needs shutting down. Those are ominous symptoms. sis description of what is happening point to serious DC offset issues as the unit stabilizes after turn on. It is worrying the unit does not go into protection.

That unit is just poised to cause absolute mayhem. In this case I would NOT recommend a reset, but service or replacement immediately.

wldock

wldock

Enthusiast
That is for sure DC offset voltage. Can blow crossover caps, tweeters, etc. Get it fixed!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis