Can RG6 be used for audio and video cables?

C

Cygnus111

Audiophyte
I've read somewhere that RG6 with F-Type to RCA adapters on the ends are acceptable for use in a home theater system. Does anyone know what type of quality I'd get from that type of setup? Will it work for audio, video or both? I'm trying to connect my components (CD player, phono player, tape deck, etc...) to my reciever, and my TV to my DVD player/VHS deck. I'll be installing either 14 or 12ga speaker wire as well.

Forgive the double-posts from other forums, I've posted this in 2 or 3 other places and haven't got much of a response.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, they will work for both. If you're willing, you can just find RCA terminations for bulk RG6 cable and avoid the adapter. In my experience, it's best to avoid using adapters when you can.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
RG-6 is all I use for cables. Adapters work fine for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Adapters work fine, but I prefer to do without them too if I can. I've never personally used them for audio, but I recommend it for in wall sub wiring all the time for customers. Works great.

I have that EXACT tool and I will NEVER go back to solder or any other type of connector system. It is so easy it's worth any amount of money to save the hassle.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Solder is overkill for this type of cable anyway, and I would still want either a crimp or strain relief anyway.

B

BigGuy

Audioholic Intern
Actually, I like using RG-6 quad shield better then standard audio cables. The shielding seems to be quite a bit better then anything on monster, etc. The only big disadvantage is that it's harder to lace,(stiffer) and doesn't look as cool. I used a 35' piece when i moved my subwoofer to the back of my theater and I don't have any hums or other interference. Best part is that it's cheaper then just about anything else and has a thicker center conductor (18awg on the stuff i used) and 2.25ghz. No problems using the f-connector to RCA either. I've made tons of RCA connections on Monster cable for custom installs, and using the f-connector converter doesn't add any more "connections" then a RCA style, it just screws onto the F-connector instead of crimping onto the wire directly. (bare copper center wire to RCA pin). I also like to use a little "no-ox" on the copper to prevent oxidizing before I put on the converter, just because I'm anal, lol.
Brian

majorloser

majorloser

Clint DeBoer said:
I have that EXACT tool and I will NEVER go back to solder or any other type of connector system. It is so easy it's worth any amount of money to save the hassle.
Is there any place where you buy from or brand of compression connection you prefer? I was looking at the connections at Cables To Go. I already have a couple spols of RG6 lying around. Thought I just use it up.

I just feel guilty for replacing expensive "snake oil" wires with plain old RG6. Spent a lot of money on Tributaries Silver and Ixos Gamma interconnects.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
On the job we have AudioQuest (ugghh) press-on connectors and they actually work very well. When installing equipment we make custom lenght cables with RG-6 for subwoofers, video, and audio. I don't know how much thos AudioQuest connectors cost but I'm guessing it's more than I want to know.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
They are a nice system. They're easy to use and maintain a very good connection. I'm just not a fan of AudioQuest overall. Just like Sony, MonsterCable and Bose.

B

BigGuy

Audioholic Intern
The Audioquest push on RCA connections that i've used only seem to work with the audio quest wire, it has a different diameter (outside shell and inside dielectric). But maybe they make a different style that can work on thicker cables that i am unaware of. The only drawback to the audioquest push on connectors is that it's harder to tell if you have the right center conductor length cut, and that it slides inside the connector without bending. If it bends and bunches up, the connection wont work.. good part is that you can cut the cable and pull out the center guts, pull out the outer jacket and reuse the connector. What style brand cable were you using with the audioquest connectors? I completely agree that audioquest wire is stupid, but those connectors are very nice.
Brian

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure what brand of cable it is but it appears to be standard RG-6. I'm pretty sure it isn't AudioQuest cable.

WBFAir

Audiophyte
Just to clarify, are all you guys talking about just interconnect levels with RG6, can it be used for line level speaker connections, IE from the amps speaker out directly to the speaker itself?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Rg6

I wouldn't use for speakers. After all most speaker wire on avg is 14g or greater that's much thicker then rg6 cable BUT I don't know for sure.:eek:

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
RG-6 isn't good as speaker wire. Standard zip cord is best for speakers.

majorloser

majorloser

WBFAir said:
Just to clarify, are all you guys talking about just interconnect levels with RG6, can it be used for line level speaker connections, IE from the amps speaker out directly to the speaker itself?
We're talking about the RCA interconnect cables between components. Video cables are already 75 ohm cables. This just makes for a higher quality cable that can be custom made.

I just ordered the cutter, the compression tool and the RCA connectors. I'll let you know how things work out. I'm in the middle of re-wiring my rack to include seven Behringer A500's. Needless to say the cables are much longer vs. the B&K seven channel amp.

R

redman_43

Junior Audioholic
Does this also apply to S-Video, Component, and Digital Coax? Without any signal degredation?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, all of these cables are based on 75-ohm coax. For S-video, you'll need an adapter that converts from the DIN plug to two coaxes, but that's the best way to run long lengths of S-Video anyway. As for Component video and digital coax, they can just be used directly with an RCA termination.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis