Can my Mitsi be saved ?

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
I took my old Mitsubishi WD62725 to a great tech that i have used before with a purple haze video issue that we decided was a capacitor problem very common to this generation of Mitsi TVs apparently.
He told me the set would not boot up for him when it first arrived. He tried a bunch of caps but never could get it to boot up. I'm not totally surprised as this happened to me on occasion too, but i could always get it back by unplugging it for a while.

Anyway, the set is dead with only a flashing green power indicator bezel to entertain us. As my luck would have it, i just replaced the lamp too. No, the issue existed before and after lamp replacement !

He told me the only thing left was to send the board in to Mitsi and they would completely update it, to the tune of around $450 all said and done.

We balked at that, paid him a very reasonable fee, took that monster back home, stuck it in the basement, and went out and bought a Samsung plasma for a steal !

But you know, that Mitsi would look great in my basement pool room !!

Any ideas ? Can I save it, or should i pull the new lamp and trash it ?

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I'm not that famalier with Mitts, but if that $450 is less then half of a new one I would replace it.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Don't pour money into that TV. Those Mits models were major lemons. We have over 20 of them right now at work. All of them are broken. Took a load of them to the recycle not long ago. We have probably fixed well over 150 of them over the past few years and many of them came back for more repairs. Once they fail it's like dominos. One thing after the next. Mits finally stopped field servicing them and now wants the entire chassis sent back to them for repair (as you found out). Even after that, it's a 50/50 chance whether you will have a working set for more than a few months.

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
WOW, I'd heard they had problems, but what you are saying blows me away.
Guess i can consider myself lucky to have 7 years out of it then.
I hope Mitsi got their act together with later models, as I had two friends buy them after liking mine !

I'm wondering now just how big a percentage of this vintage failed, and if it was high, why nothing was done.

This is an aspect of those extended warranties that we don't think about. I was talking with the sales manager that sold me the Samsung and he said that their extended warranty is effective immediately after purchase. They did that because they found that manufacturers were dragging their feet and customers would get irritated and annoyed at them, when they had no control over the situation.
So the manufacturer gets off the hook immediately with this extended warranty deal and most people buy up to 5 yrs on TVs and front loader washers and dryers !

Thanks HiHo !!

D

diaolosh

Audiophyte
Never had na issue with mitsis myself so i guess this is the occasional bad apple.. repair cost is too high though wouldnt reccomend

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis