Can I use any of these to power my mains along with my receiver?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
My current setup is Marantz SR 7005 with PSB T6 as mains. The receiver has per-outs.
So I was wondering if any of these are recommended to deliver more power to my mains?

Crown CT 4150, CT 475, CT 8150
DSi 6000
XLS 1000, XLS 2000
XLi 800, XLi 2500

I am getting these at a very good price over the next couple of days (60% to 80% off back home). :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some feature set differences, some connector type differences, some may have higher levels of fan noise.

I've used the Crown XLS 1500s for a while (I have four) and can vouch that the fan noise is extremely low (and I'd take the 2000 over the 1000 for superior s/n ratio), and they do have rca inputs to play nicer with avr pre-outs.

They'll all power speakers just fine, tho :)

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Just noticed you already have a Crown XLS1500 in your sig. Never tried it on your mains? Not sure what you mean by better than fine?
No, I havent tried it yet on my mains. May I will try over this weekend.

To get it connected, i presume I just need to connect the pre-outs from receiver to the crown amp. Then connect the amp out to the speakers.
To setup with audyssey, should I put the volume at 50% on the amp and then run audyssey setup on receiver?

Not sure what you mean by better than fine?
I thought that you meant there are better options.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Tried the XLS 1500 with my mains. Decided to go for it.
However, Unable to make up my mind which to pick up XLS 1000 or XLS 2000. Any particular recommendations?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tried the XLS 1500 with my mains. Decided to go for it.
However, Unable to make up my mind which to pick up XLS 1000 or XLS 2000. Any particular recommendations?
As I mentioned, the 1000 has 6dB lower SNR spec compared to the 1500/2000/2500....for the little extra money may as well go up the model chain and get more power to boot....you are finding new units still or buying used? The gen 2 XLS 1002/1502/2002/2502 also have some more consumer friendly features but same amps otherwise.

PS where did you end up with gain on the 1500?

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
As I mentioned, the 1000 has 6dB lower SNR spec compared to the 1500/2000/2500....for the little extra money may as well go up the model chain and get more power to boot....you are finding new units still or buying used? The gen 2 XLS 1002/1502/2002/2502 also have some more consumer friendly features but same amps otherwise.

PS where did you end up with gain on the 1500?
Getting new unit. They are being moved out thanks to the newer models, hence getting them at lower prices (300$ for 2000, it typically costs around 500-600$ back here).

1500 was able to drive my mains effortlessly. It sounds so much more natural with the crown.
Now that I have heard with the 1500 integrated, Music was most certainly was colored with the receiver. I can't believe it made such a big difference. I have to try it again listening to more songs and then compare.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Getting new unit. They are being moved out thanks to the newer models, hence getting them at lower prices (300$ for 2000, it typically costs around 500-600$ back here).

1500 was able to drive my mains effortlessly. It sounds so much more natural with the crown.
Now that I have heard with the 1500 integrated, Music was most certainly was colored with the receiver. I can't believe it made such a big difference. I have to try it again listening to more songs and then compare.
You may be getting the initial Placebo effect because the SR7005 is not the kind of receiver that one would cause music to be "colored", though it is quite possible you are benefiting from having more power with the XLS1500 resulting in better sound quality overall. The T6 are probably nominally 6 ohms with dips below that so it can tax the little SR7005 depending on your listening habits and room dimensions.

For $300, I think the 2000 is the way to go, or the 1500, definitely not the 1000 for the reason HD cited already.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't mind getting in on some more new gen 1 XLS amps on the cheap; I couldn't find any after gen 2 had been out a while, altho I did score a coupla good deals on 1500s during the transition to gen 2....

I agree with Peng, shouldn't be a significant difference until you twist the volume dial to where it makes a difference...and was it a fair comparison? Assuming you re-calibrated/re-ran Audyssey for a somewhat level playing field (but after stealing the sub's amp for the test wonder how that worked :) ).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis