Can I use all the Yamaha RX V675 power for only 2 channels?

MutantMike

MutantMike

Audiophyte
I am a total noob and really not sure what I am doing with house AV

I have a Yamaha RX v675 along with 2 Polk Book shelf speakers and a self powered Polk 10" sub

I just cannot get it to sound right. It is just not powerful enough for some reason. I use to use a Lepai 2020 and it sounded the same and that should not be considering this Yamaha was $300

Right now I have the 2 book shelf speaker wired to the L/R front

Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am a total noob and really not sure what I am doing with house AV

I have a Yamaha RX v675 along with 2 Polk Book shelf speakers and a self powered Polk 10" sub

I just cannot get it to sound right. It is just not powerful enough for some reason. I use to use a Lepai 2020 and it sounded the same and that should not be considering this Yamaha was $300

Right now I have the 2 book shelf speaker wired to the L/R front

Thanks!
No you can only use the power of 2 channels.

You problem is your low quality puny speakers. Get some decent speakers with some balls.

Changing amps virtually never changes anything, changing speakers always does.

MutantMike

MutantMike

Audiophyte
No you can only use the power of 2 channels.

You problem is your low quality puny speakers. Get some decent speakers with some balls.

Changing amps virtually never changes anything, changing speakers always does.

Thx

Well I had some Micca bookshelf speakers, went to Polk as a slight upgrade.

Problem is I have not room for bigger speakers right now, not at all.

Would adding 2 more bookshelf speakers change anything? Maybe add them as rear or surround channel?

Also, would hooking up my powered 10" Polk sub be any different than a non powered one? I am having some issues with this for some reason.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
We need a lot of information before we can help you.
  1. Please tell us how you have the sub connected to the AVR?
  2. Are you using Yamaha's YPAO room correction facility?
  3. Are your speaker settings in the AVR menu set to small?
  4. Model number/name of your Polks.
  5. Describe the speakers location relative to where you sit to listen to them?
  6. And our favourite acronym RTFM (read the f??ken manual :) ) for the AVR .

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Nothing wrong with using just 2 channels. In fact, by only having the L/R hooked up, you will be closer to the receiver's "rated power" than you would if you had all channels in use.

That said, the RX-V675 should have PLENTY of power. I blame either your speakers or perhaps how you have them placed + room acoustics. As stated above by 3db, we need a ton more info before we can really help you out that much. Tell us more about your room such as dimensions, furniture, etc. I know it sounds crazy, but that stuff can make a huge impact. I recently hooked up a system in a completely empty room and it didn't have much oomph. I told customer to finish moving in so I could finish calibrating everything and finalize setup. After he had his big couch and the rest of his furniture and stuff in, it majorly increased the gain in the room, and the sub and all speakers sounded WAY better and plenty powerful. If you have a 10" sub and puny speakers in a massive room, the results will typically not be great.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thx

Well I had some Micca bookshelf speakers, went to Polk as a slight upgrade.

Problem is I have not room for bigger speakers right now, not at all.

Would adding 2 more bookshelf speakers change anything? Maybe add them as rear or surround channel?

Also, would hooking up my powered 10" Polk sub be any different than a non powered one? I am having some issues with this for some reason.
You can not connect the non powered sub to the Yamaha. You need to use the powered sub.

Adding more speakers like you suggest will only make matters worse.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You can not connect the non powered sub to the Yamaha. You need to use the powered sub.

Adding more speakers like you suggest will only make matters worse.
OP stated that the sub is powered sub. I suspect that the OP may need to read the owners manual of his AVR to get everything working correctly. Then he can evaluate his Polks and sub correctly.

MutantMike

MutantMike

Audiophyte
We need a lot of information before we can help you.
  1. Please tell us how you have the sub connected to the AVR?
  2. Are you using Yamaha's YPAO room correction facility?
  3. Are your speaker settings in the AVR menu set to small?
  4. Model number/name of your Polks.
  5. Describe the speakers location relative to where you sit to listen to them?
  6. And our favourite acronym RTFM (read the f??ken manual :) ) for the AVR .
RTFM LOL

1. Sub connected via RCA AV Out
2. EQ set to "Through" not using YPAO
3. Fronts set to small
4. Polks are T15 and sub is PSW10
5. sub on floor 6 feet away and the bookshelf speakers are 9 feet on wall in front of me

Fronts set to 5 db
Sub on 80 hz
everything set to small
got location distance at 15 feet

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I just cannot get it to sound right. It is just not powerful enough for some reason. I use to use a Lepai 2020 and it sounded the same and that should not be considering this Yamaha was $300.
Depends on what you mean by "sounds right".

Perhaps your expectations for improvement were too much.

This simply proves that the speakers determine the overall sound of the system and, as long as there's enough to drive the speakers to an adequate loudness, power (watts) is of far less importance.

Start looking at new speakers.

MutantMike

MutantMike

Audiophyte
Starting to sound real good so far considering what I have.

Turning the db up on the front helped and setting everything to small and distance to 20 made a big difference

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
RTFM LOL

1. Sub connected via RCA AV Out
2. EQ set to "Through" not using YPAO
3. Fronts set to small
4. Polks are T15 and sub is PSW10
5. sub on floor 6 feet away and the bookshelf speakers are 9 feet on wall in front of me

Fronts set to 5 db
Sub on 80 hz
everything set to small
got location distance at 15 feet
From the RX-V675 Manual.. You mean subwoofer 1 connection out? Is bass set to sub only?

upload_2015-10-1_11-27-6.png

What don't you like about the sound? How far are the speakers apart from one another and how high on the wall are they mounted? Is there any furniture protruding between the speakers?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
As previously expressed the speakers are the likely problem, and it's not just their size. The Polk T15 is their base model bookshelf speaker. It's not meant for high fidelity or high output. If you like Polk I'd suggest looking at some of their higher series models of similar size.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The other question I forgot to ask is...what are you using for your music source?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Starting to sound real good so far considering what I have.

Turning the db up on the front helped and setting everything to small and distance to 20 made a big difference
You should set speaker distances correctly, in your case 9 ft and 6 ft for sub.
Perhaps your speakers are out of phase?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I just cannot get it to sound right. It is just not powerful enough for some reason.

Thanks!
The Polk T15's specs say they can handle 150W peak so the Yamaha RX-V675 has more than enough power for them. You should probably do a processor reset to make sure you have not accidentally messed up some settings. Also as suggested by others, make sure your speakers are not wired out of phase. After a processor reset, try listening in pure direct, straight etc., whatever Yamaha calls it, and hear if it makes any difference.

MutantMike

MutantMike

Audiophyte
The other question I forgot to ask is...what are you using for your music source?

Honestly the only thing I use this for is with my Technica LP60 turntable

Thanks fellas for all the help, your are great!

I will try the phase thing after work but after changing some things and adding my 2 extra Micca book shelf speakers as surround, this thing is crazy loud! I mean considering what I have it is.

Should my "db" be set on the highest? It seems to make everything sound better, more powerful?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly the only thing I use this for is with my Technica LP60 turntable

Thanks fellas for all the help, your are great!

I will try the phase thing after work but after changing some things and adding my 2 extra Micca book shelf speakers as surround, this thing is crazy loud! I mean considering what I have it is.

Should my "db" be set on the highest? It seems to make everything sound better, more powerful?

Is your switch position set to line out on the turntable since teh Yamaha does NOT have a phono stage as shown below from the owner's manual?

upload_2015-10-2_11-11-42.png

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes set to Line, not phono
Good. Then do what PENG recommends. Reset the AVR and use Straight or Stereo mode. Do not use Pure Direct as I believe it disables the sub out. Also, ensure your left/right are set to small and set the crossover to 80 Hz. Set bass out to subwoofer only. That should get you squared away.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Try it with some other source like radio, CD, even from a Walkman, or anything else you can think of.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis